Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fred Dibnah's legacy…

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
For some of you the name Fred Dibnah will have no meaning, but for me and I guess many others, it brings back memories of steam engines, chimneys and a gentleman of great character. Fred's passion for great engineering workmanship, steam, preservation and what he called 'back street mechanicing', has left its mark on me more than I realised.

Fred died of prostate cancer in 2004 and his home and back yard 'man cave' lay unattended for some years falling prey to the weather, and the vandals. Time came that it was finally put up for sale at auction, it didn't sell, but was noticed by a local small business owner called Leon Powsney, who bought it with the aim of turning it into a heritage centre so that Fred's legacy could live on inspiring children and adults alike.

With many fundraising efforts, and some pretty sterling effort from Leon and friends, the centre has been up and running for about 8 years now.

The latest project is to get the whole site back in steam for which a new boiler is needed and a crowd fund has been set up to try and raise £20,000 to complete the works. I received an email from Leon as a previous supporter of the project to ask if I would contribute and share where I could. I've now done both as there is only 8 days left on the crowd fund to qualify for 25% lottery funding.

If any of you feel you might like to help out and make a donation, whatever amount, head over to:-
https://via.intercom-mail-200.com/e...b8202cfbdfde726d8ce96ee21e2d2d4397-8485583912

After all, there's a lot of us that do our own 'back street mechanicing'…

Thanks

Rich

For some of you the name Fred Dibnah will have no meaning, but for me and I guess many others, it brings back memories of steam engines, chimneys and a gentleman of great character. Fred's passion for great engineering workmanship, steam, preservation and what he called 'back street mechanicing', has left its mark on me more than I realised.

Fred died of prostate cancer in 2004 and his home and back yard 'man cave' lay unattended for some years falling prey to the weather, and the vandals. Time came that it was finally put up for sale at auction, it didn't sell, but was noticed by a local small business owner called Leon Powsney, who bought it with the aim of turning it into a heritage centre so that Fred's legacy could live on inspiring children and adults alike.

With many fundraising efforts, and some pretty sterling effort from Leon and friends, the centre has been up and running for about 8 years now.

The latest project is to get the whole site back in steam for which a new boiler is needed and a crowd fund has been set up to try and raise £20,000 to complete the works. I received an email from Leon as a previous supporter of the project to ask if I would contribute and share where I could. I've now done both as there is only 8 days left on the crowd fund to qualify for 25% lottery funding.

If any of you feel you might like to help out and make a donation, whatever amount, head over to:-
https://via.intercom-mail-200.com/e?ob=a9pKaOm4QO+s7fwHE3ijDh2PlWc0snjeYtPz4BMmd8ycaGeVMym9+SWDWTZ4ZGaYlpPaTSIf1/iiN///XdDqmh9ru2X49IVOuJPQDfhQNQY=&h=d66115b8202cfbdfde726d8ce96ee21e2d2d4397-8485583912

After all, there's a lot of us that do our own 'back street mechanicing'…

Thanks

Rich
I'm gonna copy that and put it on FaceBook Rich if that's OK.

Feel free Chas, the more the merrier.
Thanks.

FD was an after dinner speaker at a construction affiliated function I attended probably back in the mid 70s.

I don't remember the date, only that when I left the function, my sides ached from laughter.

The guy had it all, the knowledge, the experience and the wit and charm (if you call it that) to put across his every-day life in an entertaining way.

Simply brilliant.

This will be a worthy cause, this was an era that should not be forgotten, neither technically nor the stories.

Part of our 'support' for the project was a visit to the house and a Lancashire hotpot in Fred's Workshop. Alf was there along with a few others that new him. The workmanship on the house was superb and the stories flowed, including Fred's humour about his impending departure.

Leon has achieved 90% of what he set out to do which I couldn't have predicted when we first visited. Fred would be proud of what has been achieved so far.

http://www.freddibnahheritagecentre.com/

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back