442191544_9AYAQ-M.jpg

Can you see it yet :twisted:

One of my other toys...

pg11.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey wow, they look cool.
Think i'm off to Beaulieu now :)

Anthony said:
Two of my toys, a different type of transport altogether, great fun.
DSCF0451mod.jpg

Very cool!
What are they? :oops:

We'll say it's one of those garage door murals

Like this:
bobbysgarage.jpg

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm afraid that was in my former life, that was taken just before the LR was stolen :D

To answer your question Crispin, they are vintage Austin Seven's (A7), the red open top is a 1927 model often called a Chummy. With the saloon being a 1929 version, referred to at the time as a Wide Door model and favoured by the forces.

Despite their age they are very usable cars, I do about 2500 miles a year with them, and that is out with the worst salty road condition season. Although I personally do not enter into trialing there are many people that use the A7 to both hill climb and trial in some appaling muddy conditions. They remind me of early day greenlane and trial devotees, done often in connection with the Vintage Sports Car club (VSCC).

I will stop now before I out stay my welcome, but suffice to say there is a lot of detail I could share, including some interesting long distance runs undertaken recently, e.g. Peking to Paris.

I'd like to read the stories - perhaps something for the trip reports section?

Anthony

In a former life I got to drive many old vehicles and ones much older than yours.
I have massive respect for you people keeping these vehicles going and preserving them for future generations.

The picture does you credit.

Nicely done.

I had a 1920's Essex Phaeton about 12 years back complete with wooden wheels, real beauty.

Anthony - thanks for the explanation. They are really good looking vehicles. :)

I'm not sure though about those going greenlaning? Surely there comes a time when you say "ok, you're an old girl now. relax a while" That's what I saw when I get my 40....(Would love one of them!)

Crispin, I whole heartly agree, would never subject my cars to anything too stressful, just use them on minor roads a fair amount and a little bit in the city surrounds. However FYI here is an example of someone that does hill climb, and that is just at the start of a hill in the Scottish borders. This form of entertainment is far from unique to A7 owners, many far more valuable vintage cars are 'used' :?: for this sport :cry:

DSCF0315.jpg

A nice looking pair of Seven's there Anthony but, the Red one looks like it might be over heating as the bottom of the rad is melting. And by the look of the n/s/f wheel on the Beige one, it looks like a big growly dog has took a bite out of it ;)

DSCF0451mod.jpg

Back