Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Diff

J66P

Has anyone split a front diff, I am pretty sure I have broke a tooth but the set up looks like most other things Toyota 'strange'. I cant work out if I can split to have a look or if stripping it is actually a full strip down and interferes with the diff set up / pre loads etc...

any advice is welcome

Alternative is does anyone recommend a transmission place that could do the job without ripping my eyeballs out, I only thought it was a £5 seal:doh:

is it an r16 if so i have a spare one complete

there is a sticker on the long axle tube under the engine that will i.d. which diff is fitted my red car is -r16 but my silver one was -r17 (if i remember correct)

I am going to try dropping it out tomorrow night when I get in if weather holds out, will let you know, bear in mind mine is a Petrol ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
having just looked on Toyoit looks like there is only 2 variants be that petrol or diesel so might not be a lost cause

Two different ratios 4.100 and 4.300 I think R16 is the 4.100 and the R17 is 4.300

well that was the easiest diff I have ever taken out, 15 mins maximum and then and=other 10 minutes to strip it

Not quite as bad as it could have been, that is unless I cant get the bits, its weird and I cant quite work out whats happened. Those of you that know will be aware that in the middle of the diff there's 4 gears that all work together to actually provide drive to the wheels but at the same time allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds to allow you to go round the corners, the weird bit is only 2 of them have damage the other 2 are spot on. the only theory that I can come up with is the thrust washers have worn and allowed the gears to walk out slightly thus putting extra load on the top edge of the teeth ? please see pics below and see if it makes anymore sense to anyone. Everything else in there looks fine but it will need a good wash out to get rid of all the crap

Just hope I can bits at right money now

Picture179.jpg

Picture1795.jpg

Picture1794.jpg

Picture1791.jpg

Picture17911.jpg

Picture17910.jpg

Picture1798.jpg

Picture1797.jpg

Last edited:
this appears to be a weak point for sure when you read up about them, I think I was just lucky given that I found it only because I was doing the driveshaft oil seal

well Simon come back to me today with prices and its looking like a tad under £300 for the bits including a variety of thrust washers and driveshaft seal, the spider gears are now only available as a full set so there may be a story behind that

been offered a full diff from Pete many thanks but I have found one today and from what I am told is the same for a bargain price so will need to go and look on Saturday

well its on the mend, managed to get hold of a Surf front diff and the gears looked like brand new, just need my seals to turn up from Milner's and it can be bolted back in

Did you have to remove the two front driveshafts before removing the diff, or were you able to disengage the inner cv joint from the housing without pulling the shafts first?

Pete

drop the bottom ball joints and that gives sufficient room

well its worked, been for quick blast and alls good, booked for MOT Tuesday then time to decide to keep it or get rid and welcome in another Jeep

Back