Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front wheel drive LC..?

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
In order to try and find out the cause and origin of the strange noise I posted recently, I eventually jacked truck up on stands; all wheels off gound and started up and put in gear. To my surprise with the CDL off, only the front wheels turned! :o

Didn't know the truck was front wheel drive. Is this the case wih all LC 's?

Oh and for those who helped with suggestions.... With the wheel off the floor and spinning in 2nd, I was able to listen right at the wheel and the near side bearings are def clicking and sounding rough. The strange noise which I could not create under load is an intermittent grating/ grinding noise from the wheel bearing or CV.

I had CV's only recently professionally rebuilt by ...... ( not sure I should say just yet ), only 6,000 miles ago, so hope its just a bearing issue.

BTW there is no play in the wheel and the preload is about 15 - 20 lbs.

I do have big wheels and tyres on so perhaps the bearings are taking a bit of a bashing with the extra load anyway.

We shall see. If it turns out to be a bodge CV job, I will report my findings here me thinks!

Hi
Your L/C is permanent 4 wheel drive and it decides how much to drive to each wheel so you probably left the handbrake on, or the rear brakes are binding slightly and allowing drive only to the front wheels. When driving on a dry road there is equal drive to each of the wheels.

Frank

With 3 differentials the drive will take the path of least resistance, check your handbrake is releasing properly ;)

I concur. Or maybe there is a problem with the rear prop UJs or even the rear diff. But I'd go with handbrake not working properly. That wouldn't be a first!

Chris

frank rabbets said:
Hi
Your L/C is permanent 4 wheel drive and it decides how much to drive to each wheel so you probably left the handbrake on, or the rear brakes are binding slightly and allowing drive only to the front wheels. When driving on a dry road there is equal drive to each of the wheels.

Frank

I have tried to explain this to some not so savvy off roaders that with open differentials the only time you have four wheel drive is when the vehicle has grip on all four wheels.

regards

Dave

Agreed, in the same way that it's possible to have drive going to only one wheel - and no forward motion!

Thank goodness for difflocks.

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back