Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel flap release

G

The lever under my dash won't pull out enough to release the fuel flap, :( I presume the operating cable has stretched a bit, so I tried to remove the release catch, but how is the 'collar' surrounding the filler pipe removed. I undid the four screws holding it in place but the 'collar' won't come out, it seems to be held back by the release catch, I didn't want to risk breaking anything by forcing it, is there an easy way of removing it :?:
Chas

Are you looking at this from inside the side panel in the boot Chas? I don't remember there being a collar so it sounds like you're looking on the outside? I had the same problem with mine a long time ago and until I fixed it I could take off the panel where the jack goes and push the lever that the cable pulls on. To fix it I seem to remember there being some adjustment but it's been a while!

Hi Chas - Welcome.

I think the catch has an adjuster nut on it, as Jon says you will need to take off the inner panel to get at it.

Ian

Lift the carpet under the drivers seat. As mine had a horse shoe shaped bend in it about there. Was fine after I put it right.

Paul

Jon,
Yes, I am looking from the outside and I think I might have a problem there, I have a drawer unit in the back and I think it will block access from the inside panel.
Ian, (towed any cruisers down Welsh mountains lately)
I will have a look and see if I can get into the inner panel but it's cold and dark out there at the moment, so it will have to be tomorrow.
Paul,
I will have a look under the drivers seat in the morning.
Thanks to you all
Chas

Chas Spencer said:
Ian, (towed any cruisers down Welsh mountains lately)

You should feel honoured, you are the only person I've done that for!

For those that don't know the story Chas had a mishap a long long way from civilisation. I ended up towing him along some fairly tricky tracks back to tarmac.

Good luck with the flap.

Ian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am honoured Ian, I remember that drive only too well! :o
Chas

Thanks to you all for your advice, after having a look and trying to access from the inside, the panel is blocked in by the rear drawer units but as the Cruiser is with Julian at the present time for a service and a few mods, wimp that I am, :oops: I have passed this job over to him. :D

Fuel flap problem now fixed after Julians magic touch. The bracket on the lever end just needed bending slightly to extend the pull of the cable, problem solved, now why didn't I think of that. doh!

Back