Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel injector

Archie

Country Flag
latvia
Hi guys,

I have been experiencing very lound noise from the engine in the mornings esspecialy when the engine is cold. Once its warm i can still hear it but not as much. Apparently it started due to shitie fuel. Went to toyota center and they told me its the fuel injector. Apparently it ia 2.3 and 3.0 is the worst, no idea what that means. They told me to buy injector cleaner liquid, which i did and it only helped about 10 percent. Then they told me to try and pour 100 ml of 2 stroke oil mostly used for chainsaws, and that helped about 70 percent, but im not sure if its going to last. They said a new injector is goig to cost around 300 gbp and restored one 150. Not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance

Hi Archie..... It's certainly vital to diagnose the issue before changing the injectors. If by cleaning them it helped then it's good to wait & see how the vehicle runs.
I changed mine soon after my engine rebuild sometime later after they gave me a few problems too. They were cleaned at the time but gave out eventually.
I bought a set from eBay from a company that were a really good price. They are acclaimed genuine set of 6 Denso injectors.

d7fcce17cfb053b9a1948197ba707e09.jpg

I had to give my vehicle details to confirm the right set with them. This is just a close set for reference point.

Hope you work it out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.3 and 3.0 refers to the fuel trim reading you get through Techstream diagnostic software for each injector. I've always worked on 3.0 being the limits of an in-spec injector, although ideally you'd like to be within +/- 1.0 when warm. 2.3 isn't great, but I don't think it's terrible. You can test these yourself with an OBD2 test cable and an old laptop running techstream (its fiddly on something newer than Windows XP, but it is possible), like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-...231343?hash=item4aedfb06af:g:XhUAAOSwDNdVu2V6

I tested my injectors a few months ago and one was running at around 4.5. I also had the car cutout and the techstream software showed a fuel blockage. Since then I've replaced the fuel filter which did look gunky, and have been running with premium diesel and used Redex injector cleaner a few times, and now my injector readings are +/- 2.0 which I'm happy with. Not sure if you have premium diesel in Latvia, but in the UK it goes under brand names such as Shell V-Power, and Texaco Supreme. Costs about 10 pence / litre more than "normal" diesel. Using 2 stroke in your fuel might have a similar effect, but you are likely to need to keep using it; I dont always use premium diesel because its not sold in many places near where I live but I try to look out for it.

From what I've read on the Autralian forums common rail injectors dont last much past 100K miles. Mine have now done 150K miles. 300GBP is about what new Denso common rail injectors cost. I think the ones IS is showing are for an old 80 engine, which is not common rail and uses much cheaper injectors. I was recommended to look at these guys for recon injectors by someone on another Land Cruiser forum; he used them and was happy. I haven't gone this far yet. http://www.commonraildiesels.com/

Last edited:
2.3 and 3.0 refers to the fuel trim reading you get through Techstream diagnostic software for each injector. I've always worked on 3.0 being the limits of an in-spec injector, although ideally you'd like to be within +/- 1.0 when warm. 2.3 isn't great, but I don't think it's terrible. You can test these yourself with an OBD2 test cable and an old laptop running techstream (its fiddly on something newer than Windows XP, but it is possible), like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-...231343?hash=item4aedfb06af:g:XhUAAOSwDNdVu2V6

I tested my injectors a few months ago and one was running at around 4.5. I also had the car cutout and the techstream software showed a fuel blockage. Since then I've replaced the fuel filter which did look gunky, and have been running with premium diesel and used Redex injector cleaner a few times, and now my injector readings are +/- 2.0 which I'm happy with. Not sure if you have premium diesel in Latvia, but in the UK it goes under brand names such as Shell V-Power, and Texaco Supreme. Costs about 10 pence / litre more than "normal" diesel. Using 2 stroke in your fuel might have a similar effect, but you are likely to need to keep using it; I dont always use premium diesel because its not sold in many places near where I live but I try to look out for it.

From what I've read on the Autralian forums common rail injectors dont last much past 100K miles. Mine have now done 150K miles. 300GBP is about what new Denso common rail injectors cost. I think the ones IS is showing are for an old 80 engine, which is not common rail and uses much cheaper injectors. I was recommended to look at these guys for recon injectors by someone on another Land Cruiser forum; he used them and was happy. I haven't gone this far yet. http://www.commonraildiesels.com/

That makes sense on this values. Bigger value might means not very efficient air/fuel mixture.

Thank you so much Rob for the detailed info. I lived moat of my life in London, just moved to Latvia, so i definitely know shell v power ect =) they do have that here. I did buy an injector cleaner, which did help a little while. Then i poured that 2T oil, which helped even more, but once i refuel again, back to the same noise. Now i got some airplane fuel which is the highest grade diesel. Was told to mix 4 litres with 15 litres of diesel and try it. Now im waiting for my cruz to run out of fuel and then i will give it a try and fingers crossed it will work. If not im going to have to buy a new injector. And yeah ur right, they are not as cheap as indigo spirit wrote, that is for a different model. In toyota center it will cost me around 250 per injector, and 100 to restore the old one. Apparently restoring it will not make that big of a deal as it does not last that long. Im kinda screwed but what can i do, i love the car

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Archie..... It's certainly vital to diagnose the issue before changing the injectors. If by cleaning them it helped then it's good to wait & see how the vehicle runs.
I changed mine soon after my engine rebuild sometime later after they gave me a few problems too. They were cleaned at the time but gave out eventually.
I bought a set from eBay from a company that were a really good price. They are acclaimed genuine set of 6 Denso injectors.

d7fcce17cfb053b9a1948197ba707e09.jpg

I had to give my vehicle details to confirm the right set with them. This is just a close set for reference point.

Hope you work it out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your help, i wish that the injectors for my car were that cheap. Those are for a different model. Mine cost around 250 squid =/

Out of interest, what mileage have you done? And do you know when the fuel filter was last replaced?

It has 225000 km not sure how many miles doh. I changed the fuel filter my self 2 month ago, so thats deffinetly not the problem

So about the same as mine. 140K miles. The theory is the injectors don't really last more than this, and should be treated as a consumable. I'm not sure how many people on this forum have 120s with that sort of mileage or more. I know Graham, a long-time forum member, had about 250K miles on his, but never saw him mention needing replacement injectors. I'll DM him and ask. Don't know how much he reads the forum now.

Yep, just don't feel like spending a grand on them =/ Thank you Rob, much appreciated.

Back