Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fuel issue's

Yotomotor

DSC_0071.JPGDSC_0070.JPG

Been having fuel related issues on the truck took off the fuel primer and replaced all Ok
This is what was inside
Google

That looks like rust to me.

I once had a similar problem along with water constantly collecting in the float chamber. It turned out to be that the top of the fuel tank had rusted right through, and water collecting on the top of the tank was filtering through the rust into the tank. When I drained it off, there was more than a gallon of water in the tank, no wonder it kept cutting out.

I don't suggest that you have quite that severe a problem, but it does look like rust to me, it must be coming from somewhere... like the tank. :think:

Sorry to dissagree but I don't think it's rust, I think its the diesel bug, it grows like an algae.

I used to get brand new springs go rusty in the bottom of SU petrol carbs. No water in there at all so I guess there is water in petrol as a solution. All other carb bits were either brass or aluminium. No stainless springs in those days. Steel petrol lines used to slowly rust on their insides! Petrol tanks were tinned with lead before assembly.

As your fuel tank empties, the fuel is replaced by air from the tank breather, that air contains moisture which condenses on the sides of the tank walls and drips into the fuel. As its heavier it sinks below the fuel and stays there until you are low on fuel and some may get sucked up by the IP.

That is why there is a water trap in the filters and a sensor.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thx for the replies, looking in the tank and there was some muck in there, cleaned it thru with new and a couple of new filters and it's good as gold.

Fact of life I am afraid, air contains moisture, warm fuel returned to the tank actually helps the moisture on the inside of the tank form. Nowadays less of a problem with plastic fuel tanks, the water is still there but simply stays with the fuel and gets caught in the filter or water trap. Year ago it was a big problem when driving HGV's, we actually had a water trap with a glass bowl bolted to the side of the chassis, we had to remove and drain the water out and clean pretty much on a two weekly basis.

regards

Dave

Many cars had the glass bowl bolted to the bulkhead under the bonnet. The outlet was via a filter membrane in the top of the fitting.

They were very useful. You could watch the rust build up in the bottom and sometimes water. You undid the knurled nut on the bottom, slipped off the clip which released the bowl and empty it in just a few seconds. Very fine rust got through to the float chamber but took a long time to build up.

They were very useful. You could watch the rust build up in the bottom and sometimes water. You undid the knurled nut on the bottom, slipped off the clip which released the bowl and empty it in just a few seconds. Very fine rust got through to the float chamber but took a long time to build up.

You're not alone Frank, I remember them glass bowls too. :character-oldtimer:

Back