Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
does anyone know if a volvo 240 Estate roof rack will fit a 78

Found one ...... so will mod it to fit if it doesn't

now i've got to find time (and fuel) to get it from Romsey in hampshire

thankfully i have a mate looking after it for me :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good luck dude, let us know how you get on. I measured my gutters the other day and they're 1380mm between and about 2200mm of usable length if that helps

Jim.

Well ... we went to get the roofrack .....

i had to put spacers between the rack and the mounts .... but it's on the roof of our 78 ..... will post a pic soon :thumbup:

i had to put spacers between the rack and the clamp bits ... but it's a good fit ...

Photo0143.jpg

spacers are 3cm each side
Photo0145.jpg

nice close fitting too
Photo0144.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks a good fit :thumbup: I wonder if you could turn it over so that spoiler throws air over the top rather than sandwiches it between the rack and roof? Do you think it'd be strong enough for a rtt?

Jimbo4x4 said:
Looks a good fit :thumbup: I wonder if you could turn it over so that spoiler throws air over the top rather than sandwiches it between the rack and roof? Do you think it'd be strong enough for a rtt?

probably could turn it over ..... but i'm not sure it would hold a roof tent. .. but you could replace the bars for steel ones instead of the ally

we're going to be at the Lincomb meet so you can see for yourself if you want

Red Oktober said:
Jimbo4x4 said:

probably could turn it over ..... but i'm not sure it would hold a roof tent. .. but you could replace the bars for steel ones instead of the ally

we're going to be at the Lincomb meet so you can see for yourself if you want

I wouldnt hesitate to put a roof tent up there,if you think the bars are not strong enough,you could throw a piece of ply across the bars to spread the weight more evenly.
Flipping the spoiler over would direct the air away from the load and possibly save on fuel.

Have you test driven it at highway speeds,some of them can get an ungodly wind roar?

roscoFJ73 said:
I wouldnt hesitate to put a roof tent up there,if you think the bars are not strong enough,you could throw a piece of ply across the bars to spread the weight more evenly.
Flipping the spoiler over would direct the air away from the load and possibly save on fuel.

Have you test driven it at highway speeds,some of them can get an ungodly wind roar?

yep ... i have driven it at speed (well as fast as i could make it go) .. there's no roar but then i'm deaf so probably wouldn't hear it anyway

yep .. the ply idea would work a treat

why do we have to change things because other people give there ideas :x

Annamarie said:
why do we have to change things because other people give there ideas :x

no one is trying to tell us to change things :naughty: :naughty: .... wish you'd read things properly

Red Oktober said:

Come to think of it,most campers have a fairly solid base of their own. Some of them weigh as little as 60kgs.

Jimbo4x4 said:
I would leave it as it is, if you remove it these racks tend to make a howling noise. And as a result it was impossible to sleep in the car when I was a kid. :evil: It definitely did not make that noise when that spoiler was in place.

roscoFJ73 said:
Red Oktober said:

Come to think of it,most campers have a fairly solid base of their own. Some of them weigh as little as 60kgs.

Yep...my South African LA Sport roof tent has a solid composite base and weighs in at 56kg

Back