Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

@ Gary S. - Wheel spacers

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi Gary,

Reading more of your post about the wheel spacers, and the excellent pictures.
When you put the spacers on, did it feel any different for normal road driving?

Did you have to re - balance your wheels or any thing?
Did you find that not having the cenering spigot, (on the outside of the spacer, where it mates up with the inside of the wheel,) caused any problems?
When I spoke to the supplier, he said on teh vehicles with 6 studs, AKA, the Japanese stuff, he said that the 6 studs pulled the wheel up to true center without the spigot.
Did you find this?

Gra.

I used to have spacers on my 80, but never again. :naughty: I had bearings fail three times the result being melted stub axles and wheels falling off. :shock: I have been told if you check the bearings regularly and keep them adjusted you'll be OK, but spacers move the wheels further out and must put extra strain on the bearings so why run the risk, the only benefit I found from using them was that they straddled the cushion shaped sleeping policemen better and looked more 'aggresive' not a lot of benifit for in my opinion a lot of risk. :think: I never had any problem with wheel balance when they were fitted.

Not had any issues I can attribute to the spacers. One front bearing replaced but I suspect that was knackered by the brake calipers being seized for who knows how long on that wheel when I got the truck.

No other concerns. I thought about Chas' comments and am not sure the offset force is a major concern either - the 120 standard alloys are a 30 offset (closer to the centre line of the vehicle). By moving them out 30mm with spacers, AND putting on wider tyres, the nett affect is about an 8 - 10mm move away from the bearing which I don't think is a lot?

And I'm more worried about the spacers themselves so I'm looking at Dick Cepek DC1 rims with a 0 offset. A lot of guys in Oz have gone with 0 offset rims with no notes of problems ....

I have been running 33mm spacers on my colorado for the past 10 years and not had any problems with them. I believe on my land cruiser the lug nuts centre the wheel in the place, as it doesnt have a centre bore lip.

You shouldnt have to adjust anything else unless you make any tyre/wheel changes.

Back