Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gas conversion for expedition 80

Nailer

Country Flag
ireland
Hi Guys,

I have recently completed a month long expedition in Morocco in my 1Fz powered 80.
All went well except for the fuel consumption and cost of petrol on the way through europe.
A gas conversion would solve this nicely but I have heard of gas converted vehicles developing head gasket issues because gas burns at a higher temperature however people cannot comment on if this happens to petrol 80's, only land/range rovers.

I am not interested in a diesel conversion.

I am sure there are plenty of lpg converted 80's on here.
Are any used for expeditions?
How do they find the conversion for offroad use and towing?

Thanks
Nailer

They only run hotter if set up incorrectly which many are! There is a severe lack of knowledge in the lpg world when it comes to the air fuel ratios, far too many suppliers just slap a kit on & just guess the AFR's or hope they are ok. Too lean & it'll run very hot & burn valves out, too rich & fuel consumption is horrendous.

I would only fit/run one if I'd seen the results after running with a wideband lambda on the exhaust & seeing what fuel its actually getting. I've yet to see a supplier/fitting outfit who do this the best you get is an exhaust reading at idle which is about as good as a chocolate fireguard.

LPG kits are really popular in Argentina. Many vehicles run them because the price of LPG vs. Petrol is so much cheaper. The two problems we heard about are that they don't run well at high altitude and they generally cause early engine failure. No one recommends buying a second hand LPG vehicle.

hi

I have had and fitted 3 LPG kits to petrol landcruisers.
Never had any problems .
Have fix many badly fitted kits .
As it has been mentioned before Lpg runs hotter therefore need to change plugs for hotter spec, but usually NGK covers a large heat range and will usually last the same time as petrol only vehicle .
Valve clearance have to be checked and adjust more often increase clearance 2-5 thou. on exhaust . Never burnt a valve yet and done over 150 thousand miles in Lpg powered land cruisers.
High alttiude not a problem if gas injected and the lamba sensor is used .

Any other info pm me for my tel .no

regards

Garry

Back