Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gear box oil!!!!!!!!!!

foxing2night

After a word with Chris and bob, I decided to put some Molly slip into my gear box??,

Should be easy you think????

Firstly i went to undo the fill plug and oil was pouring out all over the place so i screwed it back in asap,,, went for a run to see an old friend of mine that owns an mot station and he confirmed that i had the right nut????

So back home and let it flow out as i undid the fill plug,,, oh dear what a lot of oil????

Anyway i got the level down a bit more so that i could put the molly in and topped it back up with a plastic bottle and tube until it was full!!!!!
What a difference it has made truck is quieter and gear changes are smooth again,,

What i would like to know is how the hell did he get so much oil in the gearbox?????

Darrel

possibly someone have one end up on ramps or jacked up and on stands

foxing2night said:
What i would like to know is how the hell did he get so much oil in the gearbox?????

Darrel

I remove the centre console and gear lever, then pour the oil in from the top. It saves all that ffaffing about with oil syringes :thumbup:

However, I do it with the level plug removed and a drip tray underneath - maybe the PO didn't bother :roll:

Bob.

I was just about to say that. :thumbup:

If they have drained the oil and then topped up with what it says in the manual then it will be way over the level as most manuals specify oil capacity for a dry fill (freshly rebuilt box) :roll:

Hi
I have read that the oil from the transfer box can leak through , so I would give it a check ,

ATB

First thing i did was to check the oil in the transfer box???, as luck happens it was ok :D

Going to get some more mollyslip for the tranfer box??,,

What i would like to know is what kined of LSD is on a prado (Does it have clutch plates)

Darrel

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Darrel
The Aussies say the LSD is knackerd after 50/60000 so depending on your mileage , the LSD diff becomes an ordernary open unit ,
I have a 96 Prado with 150,000Km and replaced mine three years ago with a Detroit softlocker ,The other option is a Truetrac which is a LSD .

Cheers

Hi Leslie,
Could you tell me more about the different lockers that i could use ???,
My 90 has done 96,000,,, so would it be wise to put molly in it or just change the thing????

Is it a big job???, did you do it your self????, and were would i get these components from???,

Sorry so many questions,, as this is a steep learning curve for me!!!!!!

Cheers,,, Darrel

Hi Darrel
First your vehicle will still be very capable with out the LSD , Good tyres and 4x4 is still very good.
Second I had no help from any UK suppliers and had to import the locker from the States .
The fitting is straight forward and did it all myself.
Over to you. :whistle:

Back