Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gearbox re-build

Been out in my 80 today. It goes into 1st easily at 20 mph.

The clutch bites when the pedal has moved 3 1/2 inches off the floor.

It's a bit odd, I've always complained (to myself) of a stiff gearbox, particularly when cold, I mean -10 C sort of cold when it's an utter bar steward of a box :lol:

I've just had to change the clutch, and got a HD (whatever that means) unit fitted, all parts new including a new master, a slave kit and new pilot bearing.

It now drives like a dream, the pedal is light, the bite point is in the right place, and the gears feel so much better. I know there's play in some bearings, I'm guessing the 1st & 2nd shaft (if there's such a thing) but otherwise, it's lovely (till the next temperature drop to -10 C) :icon-rolleyes:

Flywheel bolts are normally have thread lock on them, if you have access to a rattle gun they come undone easily. If not you will need to jam the flywheel and get a breaker bar on them.

regards

Dave

Used a breaker bar and they came out and none had threadlock on them. The oil seal was showing signs of weaping so after a bit of fiddling about removed it and fitted a SKF 'Double Lip Viton Rubber Rotary Shaft Seal' for £29. Hopefully I should'nt be visiting this area for a long time.

It's good to change the crank seal while the box is off.

Had mine changed too, when the clutch was being done, only a weep but I hate oil leaks,

Back