Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting to grips with 35" tyres

Chris said:
Not quite sure that this is helping Steve. :lol: :lol:

They're definitely round and black with a hole in the middle. :roll:

Yes, I like the ST and the 255 is a good tyre. But given my need for a larger size the 315 is probably going to be the baby although not quite 35". It's all falling into place chaps. Many many thanks for the advice. Yes even you Steve. :clap: Going to ring Craddock in a bit to see if they have stock

Chris
Chris, are you going to 4.56?
Hope Craddocks have them the price looks to good

Yes I am. That's the plan.

Rang Craddocks, they only have 4!!! 8 weeks to get another from the states IF they can get them.

Need to seek out another one or maybe two somewhere else. I like them at £115. But don't want to get stuck with another incomplete set.

Chris

Not looking good. Like I said, Craddocks only have 4 so looking one one or even two more. Eyes peeled folks. Camskill are being uncharacteristically unhelpful. They assured me (see a different post) that 1001% guaranteed, Cooper tyres would be fully available again due to production switching to France. Now they are telling that Cooper will not be selling either the 315 or 255 in UK.

Hmm

C

Chris said:
Not looking good. Like I said, Craddocks only have 4 so looking one one or even two more. Eyes peeled folks. Camskill are being uncharacteristically unhelpful. They assured me (see a different post) that 1001% guaranteed, Cooper tyres would be fully available again due to production switching to France. Now they are telling that Cooper will not be selling either the 315 or 255 in UK.

Hmm

C

Chris, this is something that stopped me running off down the 35" avenue
I believe, but have know proof that the recent EU law change on tyres has resulted in the tyre industry having problems producing products that are quiet enough to be legal. Very few of the main line manufactures now list either the 315 75 16 or 35 12.5 16 sizes
I don't want to go down the re-gearing option only to find that tyres are hard to find and getting more expensive :cry:

I'm with you there. This is actually about 'dirty oil' used in the production of their tyres rather than noise levels in this particular instance. Made in Mexico, no one cared until someone stirred the pot. They aren't an easy size to get, are they. It's perplexing. If I can find another two then this would set me up for some time to come. I only do 5k in the cruiser per annum.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Although you initially said you didn't want to do £300 a corner Chris I thought i'd mention that I've been in touch with a guy at Goodyear and they are getting close to bringing their highly rated MTR Kevlars into the UK. I spoke to Daz at LCOOL last November while in Oz and he said the MTR Ks blow away BFG MTs because of the sidewall protection. He reckons Aussies are seeing sidewall damage to BFGs and Coopers but the MTR Ks are doing really well. They have an interesting tread too which makes them able to turn in the wet on roundabouts. :twisted:

He showed me a set from his FJ Cruiser and they had done 20,000km in the deserts of Oz and looked almost brand new - I was deeply impressed. The last owners of my truck took it through Turkana which is rough as, and the tyres are worn with chunks out of them [BFG ATs], I'd rate the African trip as not massively harder than the stuff Daz has done in the desert. I didn't bother posting at the time because the kevlars are not available here. However, they may soon be - although you will have to take a mortgage out for each corner because they will not be cheap if aussie prices are anything to go by.

Just thought I'd throw it into the mix. No confirmed sizes from Goodyear as yet.

Thanks Simon, interesting but entirely overkill for a motorway tyre that will do about 4000 miles per year at the most and some mild damp grass. I just don't need tyres like that for pootling to the shops and back for some milk and the occasional longer stroll up the motorway. Kevlar? Crikey, it's not that rough around here.

My off road tyres are sorted and will be a different kettle of fish completely. It does look gloomy on those STs in 315 which is gutting, so I shall probably go for the Cooper STTs which whilst more aggressive than I need for the road, we know are good, the right size and wear well. And if it snows, or I park in a ditch will be more than capable.

Thanks anyway - they sound pretty awesome!

Chris

Would love to see the MTR Kevlar here, from reports I have heard not only tougher but lighter too! I know these cars are heavy old hectors, but rotational is the best mass to save from the perspective of fuel economy, but not from the momentum angle. Oh choices :shock:

I bought a set of Hankook RT03's last month in 315/75/16. Sitting at 30psi they measure a true 34 inches. I used to run a set of 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler AT's. I haven't noticed much difference in road handling or noise wet or dry and I do drive pretty hard most of my driving is B roads. Off road they seem to be what I expected of a mud tyre and not an extreme. They do fill with mud pretty quick on the soft stuff but they do clear well when the right foot is down.

On Saturday I was playing and got into very deep mud to the point where I actually couldn't steer out of my tracks all I could do was go back and forward and infront of me was a very steep hill with only a 15m run up. I have seen a 110 with insa's have to winch up the same hill in less muddy conditions. I let the Hankooks down to 18 psi and got up it on my 3rd go with no diff locks. Don't get me wrong they are no extreme tyre but for £138 a corner I am very happy with them on and off road.

Hers's a quick vid of them through the watery stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGGkYJntVmE

The Hankooks are pretty much a straight copy of the BFG KM1 pattern for anyone that harks back to those. Good tyre for the money but they sound a bit small for Chris.

Don't get too excited it's not like they are something from NASA. Just an unused set of 37s very like Insas from a rather unexpected source, that's all.

Chris

I see your keeping quiet about this one :shifty:

Not telling you lot where they are. Next thing I know they're not there anymore!

Only kidding. Just not advertising widely where they're coming from at the second until the deal is agreed and they tyres are on their way.

Chris

Andrew Prince said:
The Hankooks are pretty much a straight copy of the BFG KM1 pattern for anyone that harks back to those. Good tyre for the money but they sound a bit small for Chris.
I don't know what it is, but the original BFG muds (KM1) always looks a mans, tyre, they always looked very purposeful,

I wonder if the newer KM2 are really that much better than the KM1 ?

Grip wise that is,,,

Gra.

Well getting closer. Went to JCS on the way home today and looked at STTs. Vay nice. But still wouldn't mind something less off road. Chas thinks that he can get me an AT in 35". At that point I'd be home and dry.

No just as a warning so that people don't get trampled in the rush, I will then be parting with some rubber. I will have three nearly new Cooper STs in 255.85.16 which I love. You can't get these now unless you are lucky, so they will be quite desirable for someone already running them. There are also two 255 BFG Mud Terrains to match which are OK but frankly if someone want them, they're a tenner each!

Then I shall be selling my 5 hardly worn Insa Special Tracks in 285.75.16. The 285 is different to the other sizes in that it has these humongous side lugs. These are totally evil tyres and stand just over 33" on black steel modulars. So, not quite ready to part with them yet as I can't drive around on my brake discs.

I also have 5 clapped out BFG ATs in 285 as well. A couple of which are entirely servicable if you are running those and need some back up spare standby reserve tyres. For free.

Chris

Chris, are you lifting yours any further to accommodate the larger tyres or will they fit? I cant imagine the 37s fitting, maybe the 35s :think:

Back