Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting to Sweden

steverjuk

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi
As we are all locked in, I've been planning a trip to Sweden. Has anyone used the Immingham to Gothenburg ferry? Seems pricey but nice way to get to Sweden fast with a truck. Also, anyone got any routes or advice? Going to be taking the little on of his first trip abroad as well, can't wait.

Hmm, now I'd be first to say I may be wrong, but isn't there some smallish print on that service that says commercial traffic only, no 'tourist' type passage? I did hear of one service that does have a small allocation but it's a case of 'what you know' kinda thing.

There’s no boats to sweden or denmark any longer. You have to take a ferry to holland or france, and take a ferry to gothenburg, or drive.

I thought there was a freight transporter out of Newcastle or Hull or something like that. There used to be a proper service of course. They brought it back for about a year then is stopped again. It would be so useful.

Web site says DFDS freight port of Immingham can accept commercial freight drivers with their loads. Due to UKBF port approval, private passengers are not permitted to be carried through Immingham. This means that we can no longer accept leisure fare paying passengers on the freight routes through Immingham

Just found it too. That sounds like the small print I'd seen a while back.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They let a mate of mine on this year towing a trailer

From what I understood, anecdotally of course, was that if you know how to play the system, ther's a chance of getting across on it. But if you just rock up and pretend to be a lorry, you'll be disappointed. :disrelieved:

I'll have to see what they class as "fright drivers" as do I just need to have commercial insurance etc? May have to get a ferry to Amsterdam if it's a no go.

Somehow can't see the calling a family in a 4x4 car being freight, but you never know your luck

Whilst it's 36 hours and quite expensive, you have to deduct the cost of crossing in the first place and all the fuel plus miles on the vehicle. I'd have to say that if it can be done it's worth it. Sure, quick hop to Hull then 36 hours looking out of a porthole isn't the best fun in the world but at least you'd be rested when you got there. And having done that road trip a few times, you're really not missing much more than quite boring blacktop.

Depends on what their definition of freight is I suppose, I love being an arse when it comes to t and c s.

Go for it Steve. Spread the learning when you get it. For us in the middle, Hull is easy. Harwich, Dover, Felixstowe etc are all a right schlep. If you live daaaan Saaaaf then hopping the channel is very convenient.

I just used the tunnel at Dover and bored on.

I rather be cruisin' than shambling about on a ferry.
Could well be different with a young un though...

What was the outcome regarding the ferry?

Ive got a demountable unit arriving in a few weeks (GeoCamper) and am thinking of Norway, but having to drive all that way to start the journey is offputting tbh.

I am hoping that after Brexit, UK would reintroduce dealing with Norway directly and a ferry would reappear, in that way it doesnt use up any of the 90 day allowance for travelling in Schengen area. As Im buying a house in France I need to look after every single day!

Per my chat with a bloke at the port (the number I got from google), basically it "needs to look freight" and you need commercial insurance but he didn't seem to have a clue really.

Last edited:
am thinking of Norway, but having to drive all that way to start the journey is offputting tbh.

We did the drive around to Sweden via the channel tunnel , France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and it was really not too bad. Took us 5 days but then we had a 2 and 4 year old in the car so couldn't be doing long days, but if you don't have young kids you could do it in 2 days without too much stress. Another days drive will put you in Rondane NP which is where the stunning scenery begins and goes all the way to Lofoten. I certainly wouldn't let that part of the drive put you off going - its a bloddy beautiful part of the world, and very easy travelling, if very expensive.

Don’t forget ferry options from Germany and Denmark. The overnight sailing from Kiel to Gothenburg cuts out a lot of miles and the shorter crossing from Fredrikshavn to Gothenburg is often cheaper than crossing the bridge, as is the quick shuttle between Helsingør and Helsingborg.

Last edited:
Back