Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Glow Wiring + Glow Element Issues --- HJ61

OffRoadin56

Country Flag
australia
G'day all viewers,
I am truly sorry if I drag on about this but I need to explain in full, so strap yourselves in,
I currently am having some issues with my trusty 1986 HJ61 (12 volt). She is fitted with the beautiful, ultimate, and mighty 12-HT engine and unfortunately was smashed up in a crash. She has taken me over an entire year to go through and strip her right back to the bare chassis, roll another refurbed chassis underneath her (repainted along with repainting the front and rear diff), wiring repairs (some wires had shorted out in the crash that had occurred and were fried badly), and other little repairs on the engine. I wont lie... It is doing my head in. So the issue here is the wires that were fried included the entire loom that leads to the right side of the car to the right side horn, headlight, and indicator. I went through and repaired this only to find that not only were the wires around the right side of the car in the engine bay area were damaged, but the fried wires lead into the cab behind the dash. So, I went through, pulled the dash out, disconnected the entire wiring system behind the dash and from the engine components, and pulled this entire thing out. That was last Christmas. I sat the wiring loom on a table and set it out to do the repairs on it, and this thing was a real pain. There were 20 odd wires that had fused together into a clump from the heat of a couple wires that had shorted out and fried during the crash. I went through the long process of spreading these apart from each other to find that they did not have to be replaced because the only damage that was inflicted was on the insulation. So what I did was wrap the exposed wires (clean and unfried) in insulation tape and triple checked the entire thing before connecting it back into the car. Ok, fast forwarding to 2 weeks ago. The initial testing of the car, dash back in, fuel bled, wiring all hooked up the way it should be, damaged components replaced, all ready for JUST TO BE STARTED and left to see if it was worth while. Battery goes in, no sparks or fires (which was a huge relief), ignition on, all going to plan, turn the key over,.... Engine doesn't turn over but one of the 2 glow relays kicks in and makes a high pitched shrill along with the wire for the glow leading from the positive terminal heating up that much that it caught fire and melted this wire into 2. Thankfully our resources contained a fire extinguisher. No serious damage was done. Now this is where it gets me. The wire that caught fire, for the glow, leads to the glow relay that kicked in, which leads to the second glow relay, which leads to the starter relay, and so on so on to the glow element as these are obviously directed injected and are not like the 2-H's which work off a glow plug system, only fried when I turned the ignition over. This is strange as the glow is meant to activate as I turn the ignition on not when I turn it over. I ruled this out to be a possible mismatch of some wires that may have been drawing power from the starter motor taking in too much voltage hence why the engine couldn't turn over. I went through and pulled the dash out and the wiring behind the dash out again to quadruple check it but really the only thing I can rule down to this moment is the timer for pre heating which is located on my car below the glove box. For now I'll work on replacing that, and see if that is the problem, but if its not well then I'll pull the complete thing out again and again, checking it over until I get it right and solve the issue. But in the meantime here are my questions for you lovely readers:
When starting a 12-HT, is it meant to glow whilst the engine is being turned over? (I know they time out but I need to make sure)
Can any lovely person show me a picture of there glow element setup on there 12-HT and the wiring looms leading up to it?
And finally, for those who were brave enough to read all of this babble, any solutions and has it happened to any of you before?
Thank you all so much for reading and I cant wait to hear from you all,
Cheers

Luckily I've never had to deal with the glow in mine but I did have issues with a 1988 2H, so did a bit of reading. It had a Superglow system that was overheating. The Superglow glows when you turn the key and then has a secondary glow when the engine is running until it warms up. All this is controlled by the timer box. These are NLA from Toyota but there is a guy in Oz who has remade them. Not much help to your problem but worth checking what glow system you have

Luckily I've never had to deal with the glow in mine but I did have issues with a 1988 2H, so did a bit of reading. It had a Superglow system that was overheating. The Superglow glows when you turn the key and then has a secondary glow when the engine is running until it warms up. All this is controlled by the timer box. These are NLA from Toyota but there is a guy in Oz who has remade them. Not much help to your problem but worth checking what glow system you have
Thanks for the reply. I am quite sure it works of a timed heating system from direct power to the glow element on the engine. Unfortunately it is not like the old 2-H's as they are a glow plug system but cheers for the idea mate. I'll be sure to check if the glow element on the engine was damaged in the crash or not and branch off from there. The timer box, which I did locate, is the next thing I will look to replace.

This is what the timer looks like which is equivalent size to a mug of the sorts:
1701339526008.png
1701339526008.png

Alright. An update for you all. In the end I just ended up replacing the wiring loom and now I have success. At last. She turns over nicely and all electronics work as they should. My issue now is, no glow. I accidently bought a timer for a hj60 2H, and chucked that in, and it gets glow but not enough voltage to heat up the element. And on top of that the glow relays click violently. When I bought the right timer at last, she doesn't get any glow at all. I checked and there is power to everything. Relays, the timer, all is the way it 'should' be. Any ideas and/or suggestions?

Back