Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gunk or Diesel as a degreaser

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
I was looking at the various Gunk degreaser products as I had great luck using their bug-off spray to remove the adhesive from some decals on the bonnet. All look useful but I found this on a website:

Gunk is not a "de-greaser" at all - it's an expensively packaged over the counter can of diesel. Do yourself a favor and go buy one of those little red gas cans for $3 and put $2 worth of diesel in it - it works for everything.

Is this true? Do most of you just use diesel to degrease engine bays and power trains? If not, what do you use - Gunk has good reviews and I like the name as it is my sort of technical term.

I have used both. for brushing on/off, i found little difference. For soaking / swilling parts, gunk seems to works a lot better for me.

Also, you can water down gunk, Never bothered to try an water down diesel :shifty:

my main use of diseasal before was pushbike chains and bearings.... soak overnight to soften things and then brush the crud off the following day. Then a gear oil bath and hang for another day before lubing with chain oil once back on.

My tuppence worth.... probably not helped much.

Gunk used to do a foam based product which I found to be better as it clung around to parts better in the engine bay and was easy to brush in, I've not seen it though for a while !

Nick

I get a gallon can of comma degreaser from my local factors for a quarter the price of gunk.
Works just as well and can be hosed off with water.

I've never used diesel as a degreaser/cleaner, I would think it's too 'oily'. It makes a good releasing agent, like plus gas etc, especially if you can soak the item. For cleaning I would suggest plain kero/parafin.

Back