Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

GXV Underpowered

Rossco

I have a 2002 GXV which I have had Toyota mechanics work on also three diesel fitters try to find the problem $3000 later the problem is still not fixed. The vehicle will travel all day long at any speed but as soon as you want extra power to go up hills or overtake it will not respond, the cruise control will disengage when the extra power is required. The computer diagnostics say that sensors are faulty, but when replaced the problem is still the same,the engine block light will go off when the mechanics reset it but it only takes about one day before it comes on again. Has this happened to any one else and can anyone give us a clue of where to look next?

Which engine does that have in it? I'm not sure if the 100 series suffers the same problem as the 80 where the pick up filter in the fuel tank can become clogged with algae causing fuel starvation.

What sensors are coming up faulty?

The more information you can give us the more chance someone may have ideas on what is wrong.

This definitely sounds fuel starvation related. I am no expert on the 100 series, and there are a lot of electronics on these things, but I'm certain it'll have a pick up filter in the tank that could possibly be blocked. You may gain access to it from the rear cargo area. If not, then you'll have to drop the tank.

If not that, change your main engine bay filter, if not that then see if there are any filters within the fuel pump. If not that, check fuel lines to make sure no air is in the system. If it's not fuel related, it could be something else throwing the car in some sort of limp mode, turbo not boosting as it should? Start off with the small things and work your way up.

Thanks guys for your interest, the following is from the last three diesel fitters. "Test waste gate diaphragm under vacumn for leaks, test under pressure to make sure rod is moving. Test drive without waste gate hose connected, made no difference. Remove turbo and inspect waste gate valve, checks fine (note that transmission is not shifting correctly) but engine seems under powered. Check inter cooler and pipe work for leaks. Check turbo boost sensor voltage and is within specs 5 volts, engine light when scanned is coming up with turbo boost sensor fault, removed sensor from good running engine from Prado same part number, test drive found engine still underpowered but transmission shift seemed to have improved but engine light still on. Further checks needed recommend transmission service and scan transmission".

I have a transmission service booked for today. This is the latest report and this mechanic was good enough to only charge a minimum fee for the time spent the previous Toyota dealer was the expensive bill, with no result, similar report, but they replaced the EGR valve.

Just a suggestion and i know little about mechanics let alone the 100 series but could you have dented the exhaust or otherwise got some kind of blockage in it ?

Might be worth checking to see if your turbo is boosting fully if it's turbo related, maybe fitting a temp boost gauge and seeing if it holds steady

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Test drive without waste gate hose connected, made no difference

That's quite an interesting comment, How much underpowered would you say it is? how is the gear changes? smooth notches? drags? from the information supplied and limited internet diagnosing, at this stage do not get the egr valve replaced and do not get the transmission serviced or paid to have it diagnoised, they may be thinking that the reason for the vehicle to feel underpowered is due to the torque converter slipping...But I doubt it.

That's quite an interesting comment, How much underpowered would you say it is? how is the gear changes? smooth notches? drags? from the information supplied and limited internet diagnosing, at this stage do not get the egr valve replaced and do not get the transmission serviced or paid to have it diagnoised, they may be thinking that the reason for the vehicle to feel underpowered is due to the torque converter slipping...But I doubt it.

Sound advice - you should follow this.

Test driving it with the waste gate house disconnected means that the waste gate actuator is stuck close, and is not opening, this would lead to the truck overboosting and the ECU will then limit the amount of fuel (RPM's) used so that it protects the turbo and engine. Sounds as though your waste gate actuator is stuck, either stuck open or close. If possible get someone to rev the engine and see if you can see the actuator moving.

More info on the vehicle would be good: Year/month production, milage, driving pattern (city/intercity/speed), mods.

One common problem is EGR related: The catalyser gets blocked, full of soot. Otherwise it could be just deposits from the EGR elsewhere.

And yes, the filter in the tank is accessible through a hole in the top of the tank, under the carpet under the back seat.

Have had the transmission serviced all in good condition. Have had a new exhaust fitted when it first started to play up. The Toyota Mechanics searched all possible places for soot residue. Turbo has been tested and found OK. Will check the fuel tank filter next. I was driving up a very steep hill just four days ago following a semi, I put my foot down to overtake and nothing happened, with my foot flat to the floor the vehicle just sat on 40 klm/hr. Could the fuel pump be the problem, about 12 months ago I filled up at a truck stop and had to change all filters etc and the vehicle didn't come good until I filled up with new fuel, must gave got some bad fuel, and I don't think it has been the same since.

The vehicle is a GXV 100 series 2002 model, no mods, country driving, very little city miles, 340,000 Kim's on the clock, no high speed driving, some caravan towing, no power to tow the caravan now though, always serviced, have a roof rack and at times carry a tinnie on top. A lot of long distance driving.

Rossco ... not much we can help with unless you try some of the suggestions above and give us fee back on them.

The vehicle is a GXV 100 series 2002 model, no mods, country driving, very little city miles, 340,000 Kim's on the clock, no high speed driving, some caravan towing, no power to tow the caravan now though, always serviced, have a roof rack and at times carry a tinnie on top. A lot of long distance driving.
2002 - that would be the 4-sp box = the old version of E-ECU and spill valve (SCV). There has been a few cases of bad connection between the EDU (Spill Control Valve Driver) and the SCV. Check the plug - just take off the little cover over the IP and look at the cable and plug between the EDU and the SCV. The EDU is the little black box sitting on the inside fender close to the IP. Long shot, but easy to check, and symptoms match.

Back