Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake and drum trouble, some help needed, pics inside

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
My cruisers handbrake is giving trouble, the drivers side is sticking, i believe the bell crank lever its called, seems to be a bit sticky. But more annoyingly, I seem to have a problem with one of the retaining pins thats supposed to hold the brake shoe against the back plate.

The pin that should hold the shoe nearest the front of the cruiser seems to be too long or something, so when I spin the hub, the pin and its assembly of spring and cap is contacting the hub, and therefore when the hub contacts the retaining pin assembly its pulling the shoe away from the back plate. Whats causing the pin to be so near to the hub?

I noticed the little hole where the pin goes through the back plate seems to be worn and the round hole is now a little bigger, I put a thick washer on the pin before putting it through the hole but the pin still touches the hub when I assemble everything again. I might try another washer.

Could the retaining spring itself be gone too stretched maybe? I notice, the middle of the brake shoe doesn't want to sit flush against the back plate, the top and bottom of the brake shoe will sit flush at their respective places top and bottom, but the middle of the shoe is pulling away from the back plate. Is the retaining pin meant to hold the shoe against the back plate? Is the wear of the pin hole in the back plate responsible for the shoe wanting to move away from the back plate?

Here's a couple pics to explain the situation:
You can see the pin right out against the hub
photo11_zpsc16766d7.jpg

You can see here where I put a washer between the pin and back plate to no effect, pin still contacts the hub
photo12_zps209aea0c.jpg

Does anyone know whats wrong here, maybe someone had a similar problem? The shoes are genuine Toyota and all Toyota parts.

I got this to work out tonight, added another washer to the retaining pin and that gave the clearance needed, think its at the age where awkward things are starting to show their wear.

I have had the same problem :think: I bought new kits, But on the one side pins still looked to long so i put a thick washer on the back plate then pin through it, seems to have worked Strange its only on one side I striped the lot cleaned and or replaced any thing that looked iffy :icon-question:

Back