Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake / Parking brake switch

Andy Harvey

Anyone know where the Handbrake light switch is. I guess it is somewhere next to the handbrake :D but don't want to pull out the whole centre console and find there is an easier way to get at it. Got a new stereo / satnav / Digital TV / video system with a reversing camera input and a spare video input however the video won't work unless it gets a signal from the handbarake that the car isn't moving. Want to try and do it the proper way hwoever if it is too much of a bugger to get at then will just fool it by switching the line permanently live. Main need for this is for the spare Video input which I am going to use for a front camera, the reverse camera doesn't look for a signal on the handbrake line.

Andy Harvey said:
Anyone know where the Handbrake light switch is. I guess it is somewhere next to the handbrake :D but don't want to pull out the whole centre console and find there is an easier way to get at it. Got a new stereo / satnav / Digital TV / video system with a reversing camera input and a spare video input however the video won't work unless it gets a signal from the handbarake that the car isn't moving. Want to try and do it the proper way hwoever if it is too much of a bugger to get at then will just fool it by switching the line permanently live. Main need for this is for the spare Video input which I am going to use for a front camera, the reverse camera doesn't look for a signal on the handbrake line.

Hi Andy

I know you say you want to do it proper, but do you really want to stop every time you want to input a destination ?
I fitted one to the works van, and had it powered so I could do on the move and I am glad I did

Steve

Steve.

Actually it's only the video that cares, the Sat Nav just gives you a warning first time you switch it on, apart from that it is fine when changing anything. So actually the only thing affected will be the front came and watching DVDs which I don't intend to do anyway and also wouldn't while driving.

Actually I'm a silly bugger, of course I will have to fool it, otherwise I will only be able to use the front camera when the handbrake is on which kind of defeats the object which is to get a better view below the bonnet line when slow speed manouvering either parking or off road. Bit like one of those fancy camera systems on the LC150 and the Disco and Rangey although I can't afford one of those fanct 4 or 6 camera jobbies.

eventually will get two side view cameras and a 3 position AV switch which I can use to switch between each of the 2 side cameras and the front. Didn't buy the system for the cameras but to be honest because the unit has the ability seems a shame to waste it and the cameras them selves (night vision 120 degree view) are so damn cheap on ebay.

It's probably a complete waste of time especially as I think knowing your vehicle's dimensions and being able to sense the placement is one of the most important things off road and my Tutor did say I had very good observation skills when i did my advanced BORDA course but still I guess I'm still a bit of a gadget geek.

Now I'm looking for the reverse light switch, is it on the box or on the selector. Need to take a feed from that to trip my reversing camera. Any ideas?

Back