Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake woes

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Right then,
All my brake bits have just turned up but the shoes were the wrong ones and i'm now informed that they are dealer supply only, so will have to call Ian.

On the handbrake itself. I am doing the whole rear end (discs pads shoes) but what is it that actually goes wrong with the adjustment? Only seems to be after offroading and would like to sort while rebuilding as don't fancy doing more once the bad weather is here.

Does anyone want pics when it is in bits?

the adjusters on mine just need retightening constlantly- its a pain but not that hard.

find that mud gets into the drum very quickly, and works like cutting compound between the drum and shoe- hence reduced braking power- no sure what could be done except to fit a transmission brake as supplied by x-eng for landrovers.

If you have an auto you'll probably rarely use the handbrake anyway!

pugwash said:
the adjusters on mine just need retightening constlantly- its a pain but not that hard.

find that mud gets into the drum very quickly, and works like cutting compound between the drum and shoe- hence reduced braking power- no sure what could be done except to fit a transmission brake as supplied by x-eng for landrovers.

If you have an auto you'll probably rarely use the handbrake anyway!
I never use mine, but it needs to work for the MOT :thumbdown:

So is it actually the adjusters coming loose or backing off then?

Considering doing mine shortly so a write up/pics would be appreciated. :thumbup:

You probably watch from where you are :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
True, but doubt I could offer any assistance :oops: (not been in there yet!) - if I could I would....

As Jim said all that happens is mud gets in there and the shoes wear down a little meaning you just need to tighten the adjusters to get the hand brake working again. Lack of use can mean the bits on the outside need freeing up but a bit of WD40 and wiggling should sort those out. When you do the drum adjusters, make sure the cable has been slackened off and that the drum is pulled up tight against the hub with a couple of wheel nuts. Once the drum adjusters are sorted you can adjust the cable to take the slack out. doesn't take long at all once you've got the hang of it.

Back