handbrake

mjones

Country Flag
great_britain
hi folks
Im trying to adjust my handbrake so it will pass mot
at the moment im not having much luck
is there a handbrake mod ???
or can anybody recommend someone who can do the job ???
im in Leicester
just had new clutch & flywheel done that was a job and a half lol

The 80 series handbrake is known for being problematic. There's loads of posts on here about adjustment and setting up as well as some mods using new dogbones. Just use the search tab top right.:thumbup:

As per TP, some I believe have put a blob of weld (suitably ground down) on the contact (wear) areas ?

I have found having 'done' many of these including my own, that corrosion is the main problem to getting the adjustment right, this being particularly true on automatics, where 'P' becomes the new handbrake.

Dismantling and cleaning/lubricating the entire mechanism is the way to go. Many feel that having to take the calipers and discs off is a RPITA just to get a decent handbrake and don't bother.

It was once mentioned that I don't go off road enough to have my handbrake go out of adjustment....erm...ok.

Regards

Dave

First, check your equaliser isn't seized, if it is you'll only be getting hand brake to one wheel.

Having said that, I replaced my entire hand brake mechanism: Shoes, fitting kit, bell cranks, cable, equaliser - Adjusted everything as per FSM spec. It only just scraped through the MOT...

So I bought longer dog bones - I chose Terrain Tamer but they're all pretty much the same I think. Then I installed the Superior Engineering hand brake lever mod. Now hand brake is excellent

I shipped from Aus:

Superior Handbrake Upgrade Kit Toyota Landcruiser 76 78 79 80 Series - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Here's the handbrake thread that Chris posted up some years ago. It's about the 90 handbrake but the 80 &90 handbrakes are virtually the same setup.

Handbrake adjustment

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The Otramm handbrake video is useful to visualise things too. I had my dogbones rotated the wrong way that caused me a few hours head scratching until I rewatched it

hi folks
Im trying to adjust my handbrake so it will pass mot
at the moment im not having much luck
is there a handbrake mod ???
or can anybody recommend someone who can do the job ???
im in Leicester
just had new clutch & flywheel done that was a job and a half lol
Have you found anyone in Leicester willing to work on your cruiser

Back