Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Harmonic balancer removal

RobE

Country Flag
australia
Hi People,
Just a question.
What is the best way to undo the harmonic pulley bolt on a 1HDT Toyota.
I have wrapped a tie down around the balancer pulley to the tension fan belt pulley bracket and have been trying to crack the bolt with a bar going anti clockwise.
Its just no letting go. I tried also my rattle gun but it doesn't have enough grunt to loosen it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yeh! They take some cracking,.... Battery rattle gun is probably not Man enough.... Try Air impact gun 1/2 " Drive ..... Or get the Scaffold pole out

....or breaker bar/pole extension to the ground/chassis, and give the engine a quick flick over.

If its in the right direction the starter on its own should do it. we used to undo gearbox flange nuts the same way when they were undoable but at least you have control over the direction of rotation.

If you are going to use the starter method, its best to isolate the engine so that it will not start, could be noisy???? Worked well on my 120

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks everybody for your replies, I will give it a crack

I had a locking plate made up for my 1FZ. If your pulley is the same you'd be welcome to borrow it. That plus a very long 3/4 breaker bar had it off no probs. both air and electric impact wrenches would'nt touch it. The other advantage of the breaker bar method is you don't have to take half the front of the car off......which I found out after taking half the front of the car off

Back