Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone used Rolson torches?

phil the brewer

Evenin' all,

I want a couple of torches for the cruiser, one a hand torch and the other torch one of those strip lights with a hook and magnets for engine work etc.
I came across the Folsom torches in tescos but they are a lot cheaper than the energiser brand.
I don't mind shelling out for quality but if they are reasonable they would do.

Cheers

Phil.

I had a couple of the cheaper Rolson torches I picked up in Maplin. Did not last long at all, basically crap. You would be better off getting something like the LED Lenser P7, or the Cree ones.

Different experiences here - I have had a number of the strip light torches & they are all still going strong. Top little units for the price IMHO...

Another vote here for Lenser P7s. Excellent kit. If you want something cheaper look at the Ultrafire torches. Cheap, well made and bright if you get the Cree XM-L T6 equipped ones.

Another vote here for Lenser P7s. Excellent kit.

+1 on the Lenser P7. You can now get the plastic version for about £15 if you don't want to pay £40 for the metal bodied version.

Anything with a CREE LED in as well. I have a <name forgotten, got it as a birthday present> CREE torch which came with a LiPo battery and charger. It's a small unit, slightly smaller than 2 D cells, but is ridiculously bright. I think it was around the £30 mark though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought one of these to carry in the glove compartment, uses one 18650 battery but two supplied with a charger, only 16cm long but very impressed; :thumbup:

$(KGrHqZ,!o!FBbIQee3BBQZTvyLrfg~~60_35.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
That's the one I have Chas. Only single battery though but the amount I have used it and it has yet to go flat, very chuffed.

The one warning though with a torch and a LiPo battery is that it will give very little warning that it is going flat. With normal batteries, the light will dim and you know it's nearly time. With LiPo, they maintain their voltage right to the end and then up and die on you rather suddenly. I've not yet had a change to see it happen with my torch but that is a normal characteristic of LiPo batteries.

Similar to one I have as well though I think the "1800 lumen" claim is a bit exaggerated! I also have a 3 LED version that claims 3800 Lumen but I suspect that to be closer to 2700 Lumen.

If your torch is like mine you can squeeze more time from the battery by using the reduced power modes. Turn it on, double tap the switch and it may cycle through different modes. If it goes out on bright mode because the battery is too low it will still run on one of the reduced modes.

I bought the rolson magnetic one for the likes of bonnet work but will treat meself to a lenser torch just have to decide which one.

Another vote for the Lensers torches here. I've got a T7 and its great.

Thinking about getting the m7r, the rechargeable version of it although I just bought a stack of batteries from ebay.

I still have my maglite which another road user found at the seen of the crash after it few out of my CJ7 when I rolled it in a big way 15 years ago. It has some Tarmac rash but functions as well as it ever did

Bit of a thread resurrection, but my LED Lenser P7 had some batteries leak in it. I tried cleaning it up as much as I could, but in the end gave up with it.

I was about to bin it then I thought let me see if I can get a replacement battery holder for it, so between Charismas and New Year I sent LEDCO a email asking if I could purchase just that piece from them. To my surprise they offered to send me a replacement part for FREE :dance:

Arrived in the new year super fast. Great customer service, certainly recommended! :icon-cool:

Forum member discounts on LED LENSER plus more

For anybody interested, I supply the entire LED LENSER series of torches and can offer Forum members some MEGS Deals!!!!!!!!
Get in touch, I'll be more than happy to help. If this is classed as a plug for my business I apologize, but as I run a 4x4 accessories company I could reply to so many queries but have held back in fear of being booted off the forum.
Bit of a dilemma really as I can save everyone lots of cash and supply top end gear, or keep quiet about my products and watch everyone pay top dollar every time they want some thing I sell.
Any way, if you need a Torch or head lamp check out my website. The full range of torches are not on there even though I do supply them all. If you want one not listed give me a shout. - If I havent been struck off!!!:shifty:
See signature for company details. Or call 07969 577 772.

Last edited:
Stick some details in the commercial for sale prt of the forum - we have other vendors in there so no problem.

Like thevLenser stuff - have a few now (you can never have too many torches :lol: )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back