Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has my Collie's suspension been lifted???

cbv8

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
Sorry for the seemingly stoopid question:icon-redface: but how can i tell if my Collie's suspension has been lifted as my new purchase does seem higher than my last one and without a standard Collie near me i cannot compare :icon-confused:

boat breakfastswapexchange 003.jpg

measure the distance between the top of the wheel rim and the wheel arch, if I remember correctly standard height is 300mm. Theres a thread on here some where with different heights and suspension set up listed

with a 2 inch lift from the top of a 16 inch wheel to the underside of the wheel arch is approx 14" , at the front both my collies are swb

with a 2 inch lift from the top of a 16 inch wheel to the underside of the wheel arch is approx 14" , at the front both my collies are swb
I might be wrong , But that looks about bang on How my collie would sit. And it was Bog standard. It didn't have side steps so it always gave the impression it was lifted a Tad.. To me yours looks Standard..:think:

Higgy it just feels higher than the last Collie i had??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
measure to be sure, hard to tell from your photo but the front looks higher than standard, off course if you old one springs had sagged then the new might be higher without a lift

IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG

Standard height standard tyres,low mileage and hasn't towed.Can take measurements later.

Looks the same as Andys to me.. I could be wrong. PS Are you hoping its standard, Or lifted, or just curious ..?

Looks the same as Andys to me.. I could be wrong. PS Are you hoping its standard, Or lifted, or just curious ..?
Thanks Andy it does look the same they say the camera never lies but i think it can fib a bit to the eye :crazy: Higgy it does not bother me if its standard or lifted:icon-biggrin: What does concern me is its quite a bit hoppy over speed bumps with a noticeable thump hopefully just shocks it was a lot worse when i first bought the car with tyre pressures averaging between 40 and 26 psi all round they are all now 26 which seems lot better except for the hoppy bit to the rear :icon-eek:

Thanks Andy it does look the same they say the camera never lies but i think it can fib a bit to the eye :crazy: Higgy it does not bother me if its standard or lifted:icon-biggrin: What does concern me is its quite a bit hoppy over speed bumps with a noticeable thump hopefully just shocks it was a lot worse when i first bought the car with tyre pressures averaging between 40 and 26 psi all round they are all now 26 which seems lot better except for the hoppy bit to the rear :icon-eek:

I'd have a damn good look at that underneath on a ramp. The silver one is low mileage I'll admit but it glides over bumps and potholes with no knocks and bangs with a great ride. Rear dampers can corrode away at the top mounting and knock and bang. I'd inspect everything thoroughly, every bush and joint and swivel a good looking at. I run my tyres at the recommended 29-30 psi.

There's probably 2 inch of different between new and worn standard height springs , it might be worth looking at the front drive shafts and how they might be effected if you lifted another 2" because we know a 4" lift won't work on a collie .

The age of these trucks with typical mileage would have me buying with every intention of changing all bushing and maybe the radiator to just for peace of mind . I also spend a few quid on snake oil magic fixes such as steering leak stop , fuel additives and whatever else i can find on the philosophy it can do no harm and if it saves me from replacing even one seal its paid for itself .

My old Colorado was very solid on the rear when I went over speed bumps at low speed.. So I changed rear shocks and springs... Made no difference what so ever.. So like Andy says, give it a good going over... New shocks and springs may not cure anything... I never got to the Bottom of my problem because I sold it... Replacing worn Bushes etc, is cheaper than shocks and springs

Back