Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Head lamp upgrade

They’re good, got the best pattern my MOT tester has seen for LEDs and they now light up much further forward and I’ve not yet been flashed. :)

Im on it now, fully up to speed, etc etc..

What was the effect of a chip going rich?
the wp's get great feed back but i havnt been blown away by mine tbh. There blotchy for want of a better word. The blotchy segments brighter than the rest. At first i thought it could be my lamps so i removed the glass and gave them a good clean. It didnt make a difference.
i do need to ring him, he's a very helpfull chap, i just haven't got round to it.

Morning all! Coops, PLEASE keep us posted on how you get on with your LED's. I am especially interested in what you have to say as you have a 90 series with the same headlight (square) as me (I think) I am needing to do something on my recently purchased 95 because I just cannot see enough at night. The previous owner has but some sort of halogen lamp in that is a little whiter than normal, but IMO, totally useless.

I am mindful that the 80 series guys have two lamp housings to our one. So I am just starting to consider those Angel Eye type lights just for the possibility of improved performance that two lamps set up may give, but am reluctant because of adjustment fears and there will also be the cost of those lamp housings PLUS any lamp I need to fit.

Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im on it now, fully up to speed, etc etc..

What was the effect of a chip going rich?
the wp's get great feed back but i havnt been blown away by mine tbh. There blotchy for want of a better word. The blotchy segments brighter than the rest. At first i thought it could be my lamps so i removed the glass and gave them a good clean. It didnt make a difference.
i do need to ring him, he's a very helpfull chap, i just haven't got round to it.
Steve is very good TBH. The WO ones had only partially gone. The type I had were from a few years back and I thought they were good to start with. I first noticed the rhs one flickering partially on startup. I didn’t notice any mottling or blotchiness to the WP ones I had but there is a little bit to the Phillips ones though it’s worth it for the better light.

Last edited:
So my bulbs turned up today, fitting was so easy I even managed it one handed. Some pics to follow, will get some evening pics later. The bulbs.
DSC_0203.JPG
DSC_0204.JPG
Dipped beam.
DSC_0205.JPG
Main beam.

OK so as it is now dark . Looks good from the inside.
DSC_0206.JPG

And from the outside too.
DSC_0207.JPG

The night shots are much more effective coops..:icon-biggrin:

At the risk of being accused of hijacking....

In looking to upgrade our headlights, I suppose that even with LED's, we should probably still upgrade the headlight wiring to give the LED's all the help we can?

In looking to upgrade our headlights, I suppose that even with LED's, we should probably still upgrade the headlight wiring to give the LED's all the help we can?

I don't see why you would need to upgrade the wiring as my led bulbs only draw 48 watts I think,it's one of the other advantages to running LEDs......they consume less power than halogen bulbs

While I understand the thinking, no, there really is no need. The current drawn is less than the original fillament lamps and LEDs work differently by actually needing their current to be limited. Replacing the wiring would give zero gain and could potentially introduce other problems. They are plug’n’play and require no wiring alterations at all.

Good point S.C & Coops - another reason for going down the LED route which is a cost and faff saving as well!

They are quite an investment compared to an ordinary halogen bulb. The Phillips ones especially at £140 or so aren’t cheap by any stretch. The Woodypeck ones are good and the latest generation ones Steve has may be even better but the Phillips ones are what you would expect out of the box, near perfect beam, perfect pattern, bright and non dazzling (I’ve not been flashed once yet).

@Beau you say the post 2000 lamps are better beam output than the pre-2000. I have just discovered some damage to my 99 lens and am wondering if I was to replace with post 2000 are they a direct fit. Thanks.

iv ben thinking to upgrade to leds on this or not, are you all running in stock housings? do the led's produce less glare than hid's? and lastly, I have the rubber covers on the rear of my lights, looks likely these will be lost.. any disadvantage with that?

iv ben thinking to upgrade to leds on this or not, are you all running in stock housings? do the led's produce less glare than hid's? and lastly, I have the rubber covers on the rear of my lights, looks likely these will be lost.. any disadvantage with that?
Yes, Yes and no, the rubber boots are still usable as the lamps fit through them with a screw fit hestsink.

They are a direct upgrade, however the notches for my original black grill were different so I basically needed the face lift grill to go with it as well. I ran into this issue when I was planning on upgrading mine.

Reactions: ren
Back