Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Head lights

Dave007

Country Flag
australia
Can anyone help me out my head lights work fine on both high and low beams BUT when I flash hi bean no lights at all yet the blue hi beam light on the dash works as does the LED light bar which is hooked to hi beam

There are two relays in the box under the bonnet, one brown one black and they are side by side. They are responsible to change over the beam and flash IIRC. Pull them both out and check the connections in the fuse box, and then plug back in. I cannot remember if the ignition has to be on (my dashboard is out at the moment) but with it on just in case, have someone hold the stalk in the flash position and move the relays about, you may catch the headlights flickering. This is becoming a well known fault on the 80, the contacts normally burn and stick on the black relay, I always replace as a pair.

Given the dashboard light comes on tells you the stalk is doing it's job, so the relays would be the next port of call.

regards

Dave

There are two relays in the box under the bonnet, one brown one black and they are side by side. They are responsible to change over the beam and flash IIRC. Pull them both out and check the connections in the fuse box, and then plug back in. I cannot remember if the ignition has to be on (my dashboard is out at the moment) but with it on just in case, have someone hold the stalk in the flash position and move the relays about, you may catch the headlights flickering. This is becoming a well known fault on the 80, the contacts normally burn and stick on the black relay, I always replace as a pair.

Given the dashboard light comes on tells you the stalk is doing it's job, so the relays would be the next port of call.

regards

Dave
I only have 1 relay in with the other fuses and relays and I have already replaced that one

I only have 1 relay in with the other fuses and relays and I have already replaced that one

What colour relay? I am a little confused here. Every 80 I have worked on has two relays coloured as above.

regards

Dave

Could it be a relay is missing perhaps, hence the non working main beam flash?

I think this calls for photos…

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mines doesn't flash unless head lights are on.

Mine flash even without the ignition on

Thanks for that Chris/grantw, as mentioned mine is still in bits at the moment so and was unsure.

regards

Dave

Some markets had power through the stalk, and not the twin relay setup the UK had. But the stalk switches don't like the power, so can melt and arc.

Not come across that version yet Dave, the OP has no vehicle info up soooo?

regards

Dave

Just to resurrect this thread....

Dave, can I ask where you managed to source the relays please. I've taken my brown (headlight) one out and cleaned the contacts but it hasn't fixed the issue. It seems that after a period of time on main beam, mine will fail to come on the next time until it's had chance to cool down, I suspect? before I can re-select main beam.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

Ps. Dave, where abouts is Murcia are you, I often visit my folks in La Manga, you anywhere near there?

You need to get both the Black and Brown as a pair side by side. The contacts heat up and loose tension, the heat burns out the relays.

Go for OEM, not cheap but worth the extra.

I have built a wiring and relay setup that is virtually plug and play. It gives brighter headlights and takes the load off the OE system. Fancied making and selling a kit to make a few extra quid but I simply don't have the time.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the reply and your tips. Your own system sounds very interesting - reckon I'd have had one of those from you - is it easy enough for a DIYer like me to make perhaps? If you're too busy would you comsider sharing the details?

Cheers,
Mark

Back