Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlight upgrade

Oh FFS I sodding ordered H4 instead of HB4, bloody drop down selection rushing.

anyone want them before I ship them back.

Don't put bulbs with different shapes and sizes than the stock ones in the original reflectors! The glare will be unavoidable.
There are two ways to improve things.

Upgrade the bulbs from the halogen 9005/9006 to HIR 9011/9012. Same physical shape and size, increased light output and life. Requires a minor trim (literally 2mm) on the bulb.

Second is to properly retrofit projectors and then adjust the beam pattern.

I did the first and there was a definite improvement which I was happy with for several months. Eventually I filled the headlights with mud and had to open them anyway, so...

View attachment 165316

Toyota has a very specific instructions on how to aim the headlights on the 100

View attachment 165317

View attachment 165318

It's an irreversible modification - you have to do some grinding on the headlight housing. But then you will never want to go back.

I used Morimoto Mini 2.5 projectors, which are fairly popular projectors to retrofit.
Can't see the thick white coloured paper. :smile:

Don't put bulbs with different shapes and sizes than the stock ones in the original reflectors! The glare will be unavoidable.
There are two ways to improve things.

Upgrade the bulbs from the halogen 9005/9006 to HIR 9011/9012. Same physical shape and size, increased light output and life. Requires a minor trim (literally 2mm) on the bulb.

Second is to properly retrofit projectors and then adjust the beam pattern.

I did the first and there was a definite improvement which I was happy with for several months. Eventually I filled the headlights with mud and had to open them anyway, so...

View attachment 165316

Toyota has a very specific instructions on how to aim the headlights on the 100

View attachment 165317

View attachment 165318

It's an irreversible modification - you have to do some grinding on the headlight housing. But then you will never want to go back.

I used Morimoto Mini 2.5 projectors, which are fairly popular projectors to retrofit.

I have a set of 5 Wagner 9011 bulbs for sale if anyone is interested

I have a set of 5 Wagner 9011 bulbs for sale if anyone is interested
I disagree there are some good ones out there that are ok I got not tester to test them until we got correct type sadly I can’t remember which ones they were

Can't see the thick white coloured paper. :smile:
I had to make do with the striped garage door, masking tape and careful measurements :)
The cut off and brightness are amazing and I highly recommend that, over any sorts of upgraded bulbs in the stock reflectors.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had to make do with the striped garage door, masking tape and careful measurements :)
The cut off and brightness are amazing and I highly recommend that, over any sorts of upgraded bulbs in the stock reflectors.
That’s as good as any way , it’s amazing how accurate you can be

A good tip that, successfully done it many times with different vehicles, after an old boy near my lock up came over to see what I was trying to do at random in the dark, and put me right.

A good tip that, successfully done it many times with different vehicles, after an old boy near my lock up came over to see what I was trying to do at random in the dark, and put me right.
I like a good tip.:wave:

I've also used the garage door trick. :thumbup:

Yeah, I've got one for the 3.30, dead cert 20 to 1 odds, but I'm not telling you !
To late, I've put a bet on, 3:30 20 to 1 on Tractionman, with a handicap of gob as the jocky. Don't think it's a winner. :laughing-rolling: :greetings-wavingye:

Life is short. Stop worrying. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
The correct lamps arrived today all the way from Bat soup land. Took some before pictures tonight, will fit tommorow and do some after pictures, hopefully with some improvement, which shouldn’t be too hard because the I think the japs fitted glow worms in there originally

Dipped

D5EB6A38-C3DF-4C6A-8146-835A5FE56D39.jpeg

main beam

314A8E44-34FA-4EDB-8A59-6DE896AE0107.jpeg

lightbar (think this needs an angle adjustment)

E7D9675C-7018-4EA4-B563-7904DE5D0A66.jpeg

beam patterns

Dipped followed by high

A9F48C74-9697-4439-BACC-4806EC3A87FF.jpeg

2278CFC7-1128-44B4-A3F3-CF6D000512FD.jpeg

Last edited:
some brief after photos. Different camera as I forgot to charge the other one.

dipped

C0E209DF-B236-4534-858D-0D9FBEF6254F.jpeg

main

097D169E-1A52-4E71-B5E5-7E3DDFF132DD.jpeg

Back