Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

headlights randomly stop working

james ware

Country Flag
australia
hi all
any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. my headlights randomly stopped working. replaced all the fuses which needed doing anyway and still not working. the lamps are one part i.e. no bulb, halogen lights. should I just try replacing them and see what happens or is there another plan of attack that you can suggest? any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

cheers james and karen

First, before deploying the parts cannon, get yourself a multimeter (10gbp will get you a decent one) and check the voltages at the connectors, working your way to the lights. Voltage at the fuse?, Voltage at the switch? voltage at the first join? voltage at the connector to the lights etc?

I’d suspect the stalk switch or relay if there is one. Headlamps are often fused and wired individually and often run through a relay.

Tip, never replace a part until you’ve proved it faulty.

A multimeter is a very useful piece of kit. Try and spend around £30 on one or you may find yourself with a melted blob and no eyebrows one day. :)

First, before deploying the parts cannon, get yourself a multimeter (10gbp will get you a decent one) and check the voltages at the connectors, working your way to the lights. Voltage at the fuse?, Voltage at the switch? voltage at the first join? voltage at the connector to the lights etc?
cheers mate very much appreciated - checked and no voltage at the fuse or the headlights - i will need to check the switch and the first join - are they hard to locate - thanks again

I’d suspect the stalk switch or relay if there is one. Headlamps are often fused and wired individually and often run through a relay.

Tip, never replace a part until you’ve proved it faulty.

A multimeter is a very useful piece of kit. Try and spend around £30 on one or you may find yourself with a melted blob and no eyebrows one day. :)

cheers mate very much appreciated - checked and no voltage at the fuse or the headlights - where are the stalk switches and relays located please - are they hard to locate - thanks again

If there is no voltage at the fuse, you need to track that wire back to its source then, as that's the problem.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
cheers mate very much appreciated - checked and no voltage at the fuse or the headlights - where are the stalk switches and relays located please - are they hard to locate - thanks again
The stalk switches are in the steering column just behind the steering wheel. As for the relays you’ll need a Factory Service Manual or another member as I’m unfamiliar with your truck. However, favourite positions are in the foot wells behind the side trims. If you do locate them, you could try noting original location then swapping like relays to identify a bad ‘un. Also check the connectors they plug into for burned contacts. If you find any they will need replacing long term.

Check the fusible link wire at the positive terminal of the battery. There are three, one of them is for the headlights. It's the one that has a single connector plug, not the two that go to the small connector block.

Last edited:
Check the fusible link wire at the positive terminal of the battery. There are three, one of them is for the headlights. It's the one that has a single connector plug, not the two that go to the small connector block.
thanks all
it was a relay switch as one of u legends suggested
thanks heaps
managed to fix it myself with out an auto electrician
very happy
BUT my high beam doesnt work?!
any ideas please legends

thanks again

The stalk switches are in the steering column just behind the steering wheel. As for the relays you’ll need a Factory Service Manual or another member as I’m unfamiliar with your truck. However, favourite positions are in the foot wells behind the side trims. If you do locate them, you could try noting original location then swapping like relays to identify a bad ‘un. Also check the connectors they plug into for burned contacts. If you find any they will need replacing long term.
thanks all
thanks heaps
managed to fix it myself with out an auto electrician
very happy
BUT my high beam doesnt work?!
any ideas please legends

thanks again

Thanks again
Will do
thanks all