Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hearsay and rumour

mettisse

Supporter
I was told from an unsubstantiated source that a company/ garage in west London is buying the electric drivetrains from accident damaged cars and fitting them into classic cars to enable the owners to drive into central London after the new emission Laws take effect later this year.
Now I don’t know if this report is not a piece of fancyfree or true, but it got me thinking as I’m sure others have also about “ upgrading “ our dinosaur vehicles. I am guilty of having an abnormal fondness for my 80 series, it came to me with 150k miles now has 350 miles, I’ve had my share of woes, but my goodness, I’ve had more than my share of wonderful touring, towing the 4x4 Froader, used it for towing the firms trailer, days out with picnics etc etc.
None of this exclusive to me. So back to the subject, I want to keep my 80, but the way things are going how can we keep up with emissions exclusions?
I’m not a fan of electric, but it seems the new makers of the Grenadier have a solution in the BMW power plant. I don’t know if it is the latest generation of their 6 Cyl diesel with all the bells and whistles but it got me thinking would this be a route we could take with our dinosaurs?
I know Tom’s have an exhaust system for 80 s, but that is up to Euro 5 , London demands Euro 6, Another suggestion is the power plant for the Merc Sprinter, I’ve just had the first MOT on our 17 plate, the emissions were so low the MOT examiner was astounded. Will the authorities allow retrofit?
Another thought, I don’t think much will return to “ normal” after this corona virus disaster, we will have to see.
Just a few thoughts, and you may have better solutions/ideas, I hope you all stay safe and healthy, Best regards to all, Bill Westley

I was told from an unsubstantiated source that a company/ garage in west London is buying the electric drivetrains from accident damaged cars and fitting them into classic cars to enable the owners to drive into central London after the new emission Laws take effect later this year.
Now I don’t know if this report is not a piece of fancyfree or true, but it got me thinking as I’m sure others have also about “ upgrading “ our dinosaur vehicles. I am guilty of having an abnormal fondness for my 80 series, it came to me with 150k miles now has 350 miles, I’ve had my share of woes, but my goodness, I’ve had more than my share of wonderful touring, towing the 4x4 Froader, used it for towing the firms trailer, days out with picnics etc etc.
None of this exclusive to me. So back to the subject, I want to keep my 80, but the way things are going how can we keep up with emissions exclusions?
I’m not a fan of electric, but it seems the new makers of the Grenadier have a solution in the BMW power plant. I don’t know if it is the latest generation of their 6 Cyl diesel with all the bells and whistles but it got me thinking would this be a route we could take with our dinosaurs?
I know Tom’s have an exhaust system for 80 s, but that is up to Euro 5 , London demands Euro 6, Another suggestion is the power plant for the Merc Sprinter, I’ve just had the first MOT on our 17 plate, the emissions were so low the MOT examiner was astounded. Will the authorities allow retrofit?
Another thought, I don’t think much will return to “ normal” after this corona virus disaster, we will have to see.
Just a few thoughts, and you may have better solutions/ideas, I hope you all stay safe and healthy, Best regards to all, Bill Westley
Hi Bill,

Wash you mouth out with soap and water, how dare you say the words 'electric' and Land Cruiser in the same sentence. :laughing-rolling:

No, seriously Bill. I see where your coming from, but on the other hand, Mayor Kann is doing us a favour, who in their right mind would want to drive in a shit hole like London, and I'm aloud to say that as I originally come from Lambeth.

Hi Bill,

Wash you mouth out with soap and water, how dare you say the words 'electric' and Land Cruiser in the same sentence. :laughing-rolling:

No, seriously Bill. I see where your coming from, but on the other hand, Mayor Kann is doing us a favour, who in their right mind would want to drive in a shit hole like London, and I'm aloud to say that as I originally come from Lambeth.
In a perfect answer I want to stay with my 1HDT possibly with an exhaust, but who knows what the “ masters” will come up with next? I too am from south London, Peckham , my father Bermondsey, so when folk say they way that I speak is cockney, “nah it’s Sarf Lundun mate!” The pure lost language of geezers.

I should add, I have a 3inch dia bespoke exhaust made by a firm in Basildon which is a work of art, tucked up out the way, it really deserves to be in view, but it never will be, an unsung hero, well, it’s not now is it?

Last edited:
In a perfect answer I want to stay with my 1HDT possibly with an exhaust, but who knows what the “ masters” will come up with next? I too am from south London, Peckham , my father Bermondsey, so when folk say they way that I speak is cockney, “nah it’s Sarf Lundun mate!” The pure lost language of geezers.
Most of my Mum's family come from the Tooting area and my Dad's family from Bromley, I've still got a bit of the twang, and still get the pee taken for it, good old Peckham, geezers and Del Boy's :thumbup: :)

What ever the "Masters" dream up next, it will be to squeeze even more money out of the motoring enthusiast, the enviroment is just the 'band wagon' the money grabbers are all on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Eventually no one will be able to stick with their old diesels/petrols no matter what filters are fitted as they still kick out CO2 and it‘s that as much as anything they want to eliminate. Filtering out particulates and NO2 is comparatively easy.
Personally I wouldn’t waste time and money on an electric conversion of an 80 series because, for me anyway, the engine is the defining component in the whole vehicle and makes the 80 what it is. If the day ever comes when I’m forced to drive electric then it’ll be a vehicle designed as such from the ground up.

In the future my chrystal ball has been predicting nobody will own a car at all , instead we will pay like a third of our income for a digital passport that allows us to use the publicly owned electric vehicles parked on every street . How the virus will reconfigure this prediction is anyone's guess because while its a lucrative scheme that can be touted as save the planet nonsense people will be acutely aware of how freedom is being eroded by the constant push for an ideological world .

Most of my Mum's family come from the Tooting area and my Dad's family from Bromley, I've still got a bit of the twang, and still get the pee taken for it, good old Peckham, geezers and Del Boy's :thumbup: :)

What ever the "Masters" dream up next, it will be to squeeze even more money out of the motoring enthusiast, the enviroment is just the 'band wagon' the money grabbers are all on.
Yep, my kids were all born in Essex, but still carry all the genes no worry there,still a chip off the old block, my daughter who lives in Manchester ( good grief, where?) has sent me this bottle of jollop for my health she says, piccy included.
But in their defence they all enjoy pie mash and liqueur, jellied eels cockles and whelks. The dynasty carries on...........

Attachments

• 1C947B71-AB94-4B08-BAA1-1B050C35C84E.jpeg
    1C947B71-AB94-4B08-BAA1-1B050C35C84E.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 38
Yep, my kids were all born in Essex, but still carry all the genes no worry there,still a chip off the old block, my daughter who lives in Manchester ( good grief, where?) has sent me this bottle of jollop for my health she says, piccy included.
But in their defence they all enjoy pie mash and liqueur, jellied eels cockles and whelks. The dynasty carries on...........
Brill :thumbup: :laughing-rolling:

Been in west london since 1973 when i made my own way here from a refugee camp in cambridgeshire.
Funny i used to drive my LC 80 everyday to work near kings cross till i sold my business about 3 yrs ago.

There were strong rumours of an electric cruiser. Is that now off ?

Poss, but I read somewhere a while ago that Toyota were retiring the Landcruiser brand in the future.
Maybe they will bring out an electric equivilant with a different name

There's no more world to explore unfortunately. Not like years ago when even a trip to west coast of Ireland was a survival epic. Toyota are working on exploring the universe with some sort of vehicle, I expect. Probably nuclear fuel, not diesel.

Are Toyota going down the Hydrogen-powered road, so we might still have a gas powered Land Cruiser.

Possibly but it'll be a fuel cell powered electric vehicle not a hydrogen powered IC engine.

Poss, but I read somewhere a while ago that Toyota were retiring the Landcruiser brand in the future.
Maybe they will bring out an electric equivilant with a different name
If Toyota retire the Land Cruiser Name then that can only benefit us who already own them, by driving the residual value up. :thumbup:

Back