Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heavy breathing

Hemi

Country Flag
great_britain
evening Gents,
looking for advice / help , the cruiser when warm starts to smoke blue / black smoke on tick over and under load , the engine less than 1000 miles ago has had piston rings ,valve guides stem seals and rockers re Profiled etc so I don’t think there is any catastrophic problems with the engine .

the breather pipe from the rocker cover to the top of the carb/ air intake is heavily oiled , I haven’t done a compression test just to make sure , any thoughts
regards

Did you follow a running in precedure?

i bought it from Andy on here so it was run in before I owned it

All tight and good so pressuring the sump which is why we have a crank breather , put a catch can in .

Ok update , compression test on five cylinders shows 415-420 ,number four cylinder is showing 235 , could be a sticking valve or rings.

Last edited:
Its a pity if it has to come apart. I think it had around 400 miles on it when you bought it. Possibly it needs to have more of a chance for the rings to bed to the shape of the bore.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
True I’ve probably put just over 250 but i feel it will have to come apart in October as I’m just doing the interior now , I may just try and replace the valve springs on cylinder number four it’s worth a try rather than go for a tear down

Gents I’m looking for a supplier in the uk for a gasket set as I need to take the head off and sump to pull the pistons unfortunately cheers

Cheers tony I’ll have that off you I’m away until Monday and then I’ll sort it out with you

Hi Hemi that's good with my I have a 1 or 3 just in case . :thumbup:

Smoky exhausrt eh? Well the injector pump hasd an oil seal in it think it might be leather I myself havent seen it and it seperates the diesel and engine oil when it deterorates the engine oil mixes with the fuel and gives a smoky exhaust very cheap fix apparently but I can't tell you anything more than this as it was a friend that had this problem.

Gents the engine is out and it needs a full rebuild some bores are scored which won’t come out with a buff and require over boring any ideas for oversized pistons and rings ?

Sorry to hear this, if you have the budget how about fitting a 1hd ft 24 valve and modify the gearbox with hzj75 parts or the 80 series h151f?

Sounds good but I would need to hand to someone to do it all

If the engine has dry sleeves they can be pulled out with a large home made puller with a 1" threaded bar an international truck used sleeve to pull the sleeve up through and a 3/4 inch plate on the underside rebated to fit snugly under the sleeve put the nut on the bottom side and a 3/4 rattle gun on the top side took me 1 week to remove the 6 dry sleeves from my cruiser continously working on it. but was worth it as I have new sleeves original bore in my truck.

In for a penny in for a pound as they say next weapon of choice is a factory 2HT With an aftermarket intercooler , yes it needs a bit of tlc but we’ll sort it and back up and running , many thanks Andy

Attachments

• 730FC75C-29B1-415A-AA1A-62A1E49D67F0.jpeg
    730FC75C-29B1-415A-AA1A-62A1E49D67F0.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 59
  • CA829F68-FBE3-483E-B4FA-716A7B46E321.jpeg
    CA829F68-FBE3-483E-B4FA-716A7B46E321.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 68
Got these two on their way to me to finish of the upgrade

Attachments

• ED84F8A5-3A41-43F7-8B5A-A3433A3A6669.jpeg
    ED84F8A5-3A41-43F7-8B5A-A3433A3A6669.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 56