Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello and HELP!!

LCACENG

Country Flag
united_states
Good evening folks. I’m Will and the proud owner of a 95 RHD 1HDFT Land Cruiser. I purchased this truck while I was stationed in Japan and recently brought it back to the states with me.
now for the HELP part:
I took the truck to get registered and inspected and they noticed the passenger side inner axle seal was leaking diff fluid into the swivel hub. So I purchased a complete rebuild kit and went to work. I did all of the seals, swivel hub bearings and wheel bearings and since then I have had a slight steering wheel shake at 45mph (70kmh) and a loud “whom whom whom” noise that increases as I increase speed. I have taken the hub off and re-packed the outer wheel bearings on both sides and insured that the pre load and lock nuts were at correct torque. I have also had the wheels balanced, new steering g stabilizer, and new lift installed since this has happened. At this point I’m contemplating taking it all apart again and starting from scratch.
I know this was long and would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.
thank you,
Will

Attachments

• 94DD1313-BECE-420D-B696-BC8EEF68133C.jpeg
    94DD1313-BECE-420D-B696-BC8EEF68133C.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 31
I guess everyones in bed as most of us are on the other side of the Atlantic ocean so i will hazard a guess just to give you something to try as it may be mid morning for you .

Remove the front propshaft and go for a drive . I can't quite relate the noise to it but i'm thinking the lift might be the cause . Caster correction ?

Hello and welcome to this friendly, helpful forum.

Shayne has a good point there as any lift over 50mm or so needs the front axle turned back to pointing forwards rather than slightly down which corrects the castor angle.
However, you say you’ve done the lift since experiencing this issue. One common cause of this sort of thing is the axle tube bushing gets worn and the stub shaft ‘windmills’ around in the hole, causing a noise but often causing the vehicle to slow if allowed (ie when backing off and coasting). The other possibility is that although you set the preload, that the bearings have settled in and become loose again or, like I did, you caught the 6” or so diameter outer dust seal when fitting the hub. If so, this wears and allows the hub to move and the bearings to loosen up again.

If it is the bronze bushings within the axle tube, there is an upgrade to needle roller bearings such as were fitted to later models. They come as two parts, a bearing and a bronze ‘top hat’ that takes the axial thrust.

Back