Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello, from a sunny Glasgow!!

Manny

hey peeps, just a wee introduction, dont have a cruiser (yet) but the younger brother instead, a mk3 doublecab hilux. now like most people with decent taste in 4x4s i cant stop thinking of landcruisers, especially the 80 series!!
So im constantly looking out of the "one" , but untill then ill absorb as much info regarding them here.

also hoping to find someone in the Glasgow area who wouldnt mind giving me a spin in their 80 so if i can see if it really i as good as my in my dreams!! lol
please expect lots of silly questions from me and lots of stupid answers!

Hello Manny,
I am sure you will learn, and learn from the many great members here.
There is really so much to understand, so much to decide what makes a good Land Cruiser, and what makes an average Land Cruiser.
There are a good few guys up your neck of the woods, and I am sure you will find them most entertaining.

So, you are at the moment leaning towards an 80 series.
I guess it will be a 4,2 diesel lump that takes your fancy ?
probably the VX, and the later ones with the 24 valve engine, bigger disc brakes etc.
Well almost all that era will be automatic, which are really very, very good.
Some thing about Toyota not quite getting the emissions under control in the manuals, but any way, there are a few later 80 series knocking about with manual boxes,
Or is that the other way around?
Maybe more manuals than autos ?
Now I am confused,
Actually I don't have an 80, so that's my excuse.

Any way, there are more of 1 type gearbox than the other type of gearbox.

The 80 guys will be laughing their sox off now.

Gra.

To help things along...

More 12 v autos than manuals in the uk
the 24v uk model all were manual (easy to tweak pump to get it running properly)
manuals good on fuel too for the size of them

a 24v auto will be most likely a japanese import

imports may not have the from and back lockers. but can have lower mileage be in better condition and have some other interesting extras.

on my sixth 80 series now. quite partial to them.

cheers guys, im leaning toward a 24v 4.2 manual, with front and rear lockers. my understanding is that the vx has all the electric windows, rear end warmers and leather seats, where as the GX dosent? if so id prefer the GX. having electric windows die in the middle of nowhere does not appeal to me. neither does a sweaty derriere and leather seats!

gx still has elect windows.

they are pretty robust.

might need to change window rubbers - they go hard and it makes the motors labour in cold weather.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back