Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Alberta

Neill

Country Flag
canada
Hi all,

A quick intro, with a sad tale and some questions

Your name: Neill
Your Cruiser: I had a 1990 JDM BJ71 Prado LX5 diesel manual - it was stolen in late May and has not been recovered :(
Mods on your Cruiser: never got there - it had oversize tires
Plans for your Cruiser: Well, if it ever re-appears...
4x4 Experience: Very little.

I purchased this vehicle over the winter, and had it shipped from Japan. It arrived in my home-town of Airdrie, and was stolen somewhere around ten days later, from the shop where I was having the out of province inspection performed.

I am in discussions with the insurance company, and have some questions - I tried the search tool on the forums, and could not see an answer.

What are the designations before the J71? From what I can gather, the 71 is a two door, shortest wheelbase, steel top. But what makes a BJ/HJ/K and other designations different from each other?

Thanks in advance

Ext left side.jpg

That sucks. I believe the letter before the j refers to which engine but I'm not clued up on the codes

I am certainly no expert. The 70 series range has over 100 variations but to simplify the codes:
B/L /HZ are engine codes
J is the original designation when, before 24th June 1954, all LCs were known as Toyota Jeeps
7 is the series, in your case
1 is the relevant model/type
'Prado' designates it as a 'Light Duty' - more features in comfort and less about carrying loads. Prado was first introduced in 1970 on the 70 series.
It would help if you could post the full VIN number (17 digits)
Interesting that you state that it is LX5 as the LX designations did not appear until 1996 but the VIN may help clear that one up.
So more specifically to the information supplied:
'B' is the engine - probably a 13B-T which is an inline 4 cyl, 3431cc, OHV, turbo with direct injection producing 120hp @3500 and 159 ft lbs @2200.
From the photo there does not appear to be a spare mounted on the rear which would indicate that it was relatively early in the production run. The reason was that there was a Japanese tax break for vehicles under 4 metres and with the spare on the back it would have exceeded this limit. This was corrected around the first production anniversary and spares became mounted externally.
To fill in the missing engine designations:
L - normally aspirated 2 ltr inline 4 - 2446cc
2L-T - same engine with turbo
2L-TE - again but with electonic fuel injection
3L - n/aspirated inline 4 cyl 2779cc
1KZ-T - inline 4 turbocharged 2982cc
22R & 22R-E are petrol engines

Saddened to hear of the loss but any numbers/designations/etc you have on the paperwork will possibly help to create a picture that may help in the battle with your insurance company.

Hope the above helps.

Regards

Rodger

Welcome to the forum - bummer what a way to start LC ownership!

Hi Neill and welcome to this most friendly forum.

Really gutted to hear you’ve had your lovely truck stolen. I’ve had this happen with a vehicle I had owned for a number of years and it had most of my tools in it. It’s a horrible horrible feeling. My advice, if I may, is to prepare for a negotiation with your insurers. They may well offer you a low value but prepare well and negotiate, whatever they offer you. Gather together all the costs associated with buying it and look at getting some friendly legal advice, just in case. Prepare like this and hope you don’t need it but use it if you do.

Also prepare for seeing it again sometime. At the minute you have to think it’s gone for good and move on. It’s the only way to keep going. If/when it is recovered it may be in a condition that’s upsetting. Take somebody with you. Don’t underestimate how this may affect you.

Finally good luck for the best resolution possible.

Best wishes

Rich

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You must be gutted Neill, after going to all the trouble of import.

I think I’d need counseling. :|

Surely, the inspection shop from where it was stolen, must bear responsibility...?

I am certainly no expert. The 70 series range has over 100 variations but to simplify the codes:
B/L /HZ are engine codes
J is the original designation when, before 24th June 1954, all LCs were known as Toyota Jeeps
7 is the series, in your case
1 is the relevant model/type
'Prado' designates it as a 'Light Duty' - more features in comfort and less about carrying loads. Prado was first introduced in 1970 on the 70 series.
It would help if you could post the full VIN number (17 digits)
Interesting that you state that it is LX5 as the LX designations did not appear until 1996 but the VIN may help clear that one up.
So more specifically to the information supplied:
'B' is the engine - probably a 13B-T which is an inline 4 cyl, 3431cc, OHV, turbo with direct injection producing 120hp @3500 and 159 ft lbs @2200.
From the photo there does not appear to be a spare mounted on the rear which would indicate that it was relatively early in the production run. The reason was that there was a Japanese tax break for vehicles under 4 metres and with the spare on the back it would have exceeded this limit. This was corrected around the first production anniversary and spares became mounted externally.
To fill in the missing engine designations:
L - normally aspirated 2 ltr inline 4 - 2446cc
2L-T - same engine with turbo
2L-TE - again but with electonic fuel injection
3L - n/aspirated inline 4 cyl 2779cc
1KZ-T - inline 4 turbocharged 2982cc
22R & 22R-E are petrol engines

Saddened to hear of the loss but any numbers/designations/etc you have on the paperwork will possibly help to create a picture that may help in the battle with your insurance company.

Hope the above helps.

Regards

Rodger

Thank you Rodger! Never really realized that the side shot is angled just enough to cut out the rear spare.

VIN of the vehicle is LJ71-0006952.
I double checked when I first insured it, and apparently that is how some of the JDM vins are structured, versus the standard 17 digit system. If 6952 indicates the production sequence, it might support your idea that it is an early production.

LX5 is based solely on the badging, and perhaps I should know better, as folks can add any trim after purchase. It definitely is a diesel. This pic shows the badging and externally mounted spare tire

Thoughts?

Rear.jpg

Last edited:
And reading the info re: engines, I need to find out if it was truly a turbo, or a n/a diesel with "turbo" decals down the side... BJ vs LJ

Surely, the inspection shop from where it was stolen, must bear responsibility...?

They are the shop that does all of my work locally - neither they nor my insurance company has suggested that the claim would go through the shop's insurance... fortunately, it is not considered an "at fault" claim, and shouldn't affect my rates at renewal

Hi Neill,

Firstly in my previous post the Prado introduction date should have read 1990 and not 1970.
From the Vin number:
Model - LJ71
Built - October 1990
Engine - 2L-TE - 2.4 diesel Turbo
Colour code - 4K1

In April 90 the interior and exterior received various upgades - exterior mostly grille re-styling but the interior had more comfort and extra pockets etc and, as far as I can establish, the different levels were 'graded'.
The 'grade' for your Vin number is - LX5. From what I can see this grading may only have applied to JDM trucks but with so many upgrades to the different 70 series trucks over the years there is no clear picture.

'LX' as a 'grading' had been used before as the last series of 40s that had aircon, ps, a more luxurious interior, etc were designated with 'LX'.

As stated previously, '90 was the first year of the Prado and between 84 and 89 only 5310 70 series trucks for the Japanese market were made. The number, 6952, would suggest to me that it is Prado model production number as the Japanese home market had 9590 70 series trucks in 1990, but I could be wrong. The Prado was the first LC to go head-to-head with the Nissan and Mitsubishi equivalents.

From the photos the truck looked to be in great condition which is all the more depressing in the light of what has happened.

Hope this helps and if you need more info, just ask.

My eldest and his family live in Crows Nest Pass, Alberta.

Regards,

Rodger

Update - vehicle has been found! Awaiting word of how much damage - body and mechanical. It was pulled "out of a mudhole", and sat in a local towing compound - it took quite a while to locate the VIN on the truck for identification. Here's to hoping that they didn't over rev, or burn the clutch out, etc. Apparently has a dent in the rear corner, and broken tail light, as well as some front end minor damage...

Update - vehicle has been found! Awaiting word of how much damage - body and mechanical. It was pulled "out of a mudhole", and sat in a local towing compound - it took quite a while to locate the VIN on the truck for identification. Here's to hoping that they didn't over rev, or burn the clutch out, etc. Apparently has a dent in the rear corner, and broken tail light, as well as some front end minor damage...
Good story! Any further update on condition found?

Back