Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Vrecha ...

It's been a quiet year ... but we were active nevertheless.
We did some shorter Balkan trips, but we mainly concentrated on preparing our truck for the next bigger trip, which is starting in the beginning of the November.

As mechanically the truck works superbly, we concentrated on the inside and tried to optimize it to be as comfortable as possible for two persons on longer trip. Now preparations are in the final stage and here are some pictures.

We started with the rear drawers.
20145424.jpg

But we didn't stop here. The second row of seats is more or less redundant, so we decided to build something more useful there. Of course everything is build modularly, so if one decides he needs the second row of seats, its about an hour of work and the seats are back again.

Loking back from the front seats, there is a "bookshelf".
20144296.jpg

Looking to the inside from the right side of the vehicle. In the middle are water containers (ex-military 3 x 20 L, hard plastic but the same dimensions as jerry cans). They are removable but they can be filled or emptied in situ (by means of the electrical pump and hand pump). The boxes around are for storage of spare parts, tools, etc.
20144298.jpg

Looking at the inside from the left side, we see a box for additional battery, the battery controller (display of present voltage, plug-ins for 12V pump, electrical sun collectors etc). There is another 22L water container with electrical pump and the three water hose plugs (filter in, filter out and water from 22L container - mainly for shower).
20144299.jpg

The dashboard has three additional gauges (EGT, ATF temp and engine oil temp) plus fixed large display GPS plotter and also the portable GPS plotter.
20144297.jpg

This is the inside. We are now working on some additions on the outside of the truck, but the time is short (departure on the 3rd of Nov).

Nicely done storage system Damjan!. Did you build it yourself?

Tnx.
Yes, we (my girlfriend and I) are building it all by ourselves, we just buy raw materials (plywood, steel, upholstering fabric ...).
The AC inverter and the spare battery are obviously not home made. :icon-biggrin:

That looks very good Damjan. Where is the next big trip to?

Hi Damjan,
I like the mods you've made they look very professionaly done, especially the colour coding to blend in with the seat material. :thumbup: It's given me some ideas about storage behind the seats. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Western Africa for about a year.
We are intending to spend two months continuing our exploration of the Western Sahara, also guiding some trips in the area, then around new year we will transfer to Mauretania, exploring as much desert as it will be possible and than proceed in the direction of Mali and Burkina Faso. After Mauretania we don't have anything planned, so we will follow the inspiration and steer accordingly. This is our preferred way of travelling anyway. :icon-wink:

Hi, Chas,
I got many ideas from following similar threads on this forum and I blended those ideas into what I imagined would be the best for us (practice on the road will tell if imagination had anything to do with reality :lol: ).
This forum is really helpful. I seriously think is the best of this kind on the net so far.
The color match is Jane's responsibility. My taste of colors differ. I like contrasts. :icon-wink: But I agree (I have to!!!) that it turned out quite well.

That sounds like a great trip. It is an area I would like to explore further. We would be very interested to hear from you during your travels.

Hi, Chas,
I got many ideas from following similar threads on this forum and I blended those ideas into what I imagined would be the best for us (practice on the road will tell if imagination had anything to do with reality :lol: ).
This forum is really helpful. I seriously think is the best of this kind on the net so far.
The color match is Jane's responsibility. My taste of colors differ. I like contrasts. :icon-wink: But I agree (I have to!!!) that it turned out quite well.
I too have had many ideas from this forum, as you say it is very useful and the best ever. :thumbup: Practice on the road is where you realise something you did is not quite right, only yesterday I changed the position of two switches I had installed as they were not in the best position for use when driving.

The test of our camping setup:
20180367.jpg

It works! :dance:
5 - 10 minutes with one person working in slow (remember, going to Africa :lol: ) pace is all it takes to pack/unpack the setup.

As mechanically the truck works superbly ...

Now this is a dangerous thing to say publicly. As we all know, Mr. Murphy hears such bold statements and has always some laws ready in his sleeve ...
It turned out the very next day that the flange on the left side of the front axle became toothless. So it was a week of waiting for new parts and today I upgraded both side CVs and flanges to new ones.
But it was good to see that after two years and cca 80 kkm, everything inside the front axle was exactly as it should be ... :icon-biggrin:
20202278.jpg

Welcome Damjan, great intro to the site :text-welcomewave:

Lovely pics and I like your 80 !:text-coolphotos:

Anytime you're passing through Romania, give me a PM and we can meet up.

Keep the pics coming and your very good English write-ups. :icon-biggrin:

One question, how come it's a Right Hand Drive? Was that by choice or circumstance?

Circumstance. It's imported from Japan. I would prefer to drive the LHD version in our country.
I probably won't be coming to Romania until 2014, as I'm heading to the south for at least a year, but my friend from Slovenia, who also drives an 80 series LC, is likely coming in your direction in the late spring of 2013. Will notify you when he's going there.

Excellent pictures and a very good self introduction, looks like you enjoy your vehicles ;)
Your 80 looks very organised and the storage looks well thought out and practical.

Last edited:
Actually Julian/Clive, although you both welcomed him Damjan is not a newcomer to our forum he's been with us for a long time. I met up with him in Slovenia for a couple of days good off-roading on my way to Croatia in 2011.

This is he with his partner

IMG_1850.jpg

and our trucks on a river bed

IMG_1900.jpg

Yes I noticed the date and corrected my post accordingly, I had not seen this thread before it was resurrected but thank you for pointing that out ;)

Circumstance. It's imported from Japan. I would prefer to drive the LHD version in our country.
I probably won't be coming to Romania until 2014, as I'm heading to the south for at least a year, but my friend from Slovenia, who also drives an 80 series LC, is likely coming in your direction in the late spring of 2013. Will notify you when he's going there.

Welcome any time. I never have enough time for days off work to go out to play, but with enough notice and if I can talk my wife and 4 year old daughter into it... who knows. Anyway, even if it's for a BBQ and a beer it will be good to meet up with a Toyota/HJ80 (or other 4x4) enthusiast! Happy travelling!! :icon-biggrin:

Actually Julian/Clive, although you both welcomed him Damjan is not a newcomer to our forum he's been with us for a long time. I met up with him in Slovenia for a couple of days good off-roading on my way to Croatia in 2011.

Oops! I didn't notice. Well a welcome is always welcomed I hope, sorry Damjam and all for the error.

Back