Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Vrecha ...

Disappointed that you want to sell, one for your sake, you must have become very attached to it on such a long trip, and two, I can't afford to buy it!

It looks and sounds like a great truck not to mention all the mods and TLC!

I've enjoyed every post on this thread...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cry not, my fellow brothers in arms!

I have a plan coined, so far it went so good, good prospects on horizon.
It's definitely not the end of owning the LandCruisers for me! Time to move on, that's all I can say for now.
And is not the end of this thread, inshallah, will keep the pics coming!

Regarding the feelings towards the Scottie (that's her name), yes, I have become attached to her over the years, we went through some really grat experiences together, but at the end, the vehicle for me is just the vehicle that is is here to do the job.
And yes, I think that 80 series LC is one of the best vehicles made for its purpose.

Mali was the next country we choose to visit.
As usual, we decided to travel slowly and avoid main roads. In Mauritania, we left the Route d'Espoire in Kifa and went in the direction of Kankossa, Hamud and then towards the Kayes. Extremely friendly officials both on Mauritanian and Malian side of the improvised border. We reached Kayes in three days.
After a week in Kayes, we moved on in the direction of the capital, Bamako. But again far from the main roads. We searched for narrow tracks that connect villages along the Senegalese and Guineian borders. Six days it took us, we met many kind and welcoming locals, made some new friends and enjoyed the ride very much. Especially the region around the Bafing river was very charming and picturesque.

The scenery changed though, as it is evident from the pictures. Although we prefer the desert we must admit that black Africa is very interesting and more than worthy 4x4 destination ...

tlc_01.jpg

tlc_03.jpg

tlc_05.jpg

tlc_07.jpg

Last month we spent in Bamako. The first three days we were camping in a renowned hotel Sleeping Camel (recommended). During the days we were mainly out on the streets, trying to see and feel the daily life of the capital. Here a picture of the local transport, called "sotrama". It is only 3/4 full ...

tlc_10.jpg

But then spending time with locals took its toll. :icon-biggrin:
The toll being that we met one family with parents who spoke very good Serbian language (we speak it too, as this was official language in Yugoslavia), because they were studying in Belgrade, having a Yugoslav grant. Of course we were invited to their house and of course we couldn't deny such an offer and opportunity to learn how an average family in Bamako lives. So we parked our car at their house.

tlc_11.jpg

The kitchen and food preparation were very "local". :icon-biggrin:
tlc_14.jpg

tlc_15.jpg

No problems with digestion, though.
But one characteristic that ought to be mentioned are children. Lots of them, and their friends, and their schoolmates and what-I-know-who-else, who were very excited that we are there, very alive (to the point of hyperactivity), very ...
... well, on moments even a bit too much for our taste. So we grew in patience, among other things. :icon-biggrin:
tlc_17.jpg

tlc_19.jpg

tlc_21.jpg

tlc_23.jpg

One thing that worked wonders for calming the bursts of young energy were displays of classical cartoons every evening on my laptop. :icon-cool:

tlc_25.jpg

Still reading with much interest Vrecha :icon-cool:

How much longer do you plan to be on tour?

Cheers

As long as possible. :icon-wink:
Really, don't know, as here we learned that long term planing is usually in vain.

But as a matter of fact, we entered Burkina Faso two days ago flying on 6 month visa and tomorrow we will loan a house in Bobo, inshallah.

New adventures on horizon. :dance:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So the raining season is ending, the temperatures in Sahara will (slooowly) begin to fall, it's time to hit the road again!
Leaving Burkina Faso next week!

And this is a new matte paint we were considering for our LC while exploring the Sahelian regions in the north of Burkina Faso.

newMattePaintConsidered.jpg

Kind regards to all fellow LC adventurers!
(and yes, yes, I abandoned the idea of selling our beastie - for now)

Hello again!

It's been quite a while since you've done an update.

Good to see you're still out there having fun ... and most importantly keeping your beast!

Good to hear from you. I like the colour and texture of the new paint work :)

Tnx for your words!
Will try to post more frequently. Here in Burkina Faso there wasn't much 4x4 activity, thus the pause in posting.
The Google+ contains the most up to day info of our voyage and work.
For those interested, one of the assignments I've done here is photographing traditional masks in a little non-orthodox manner. Some examples in this album, more to follow.

Kind regards!

Fighting the rainy season the UNHCR way ...
(hint: look at the logo on the cover of our rooftent)
--> ClicK <--

I love this thread, thanks Damjan for the update.

Long may you tour! :icon-biggrin:

Today let's do a little course in emergency field mechanics ... :icon-biggrin:

It was around 100 km from Tidjikia, Mauritania, after completing one quite nonstandard crossing of the Aoukar basin (ClicK) that things started going the nonoptimal way. While driving I heard from time to time some very week but strange sound coming from the front right part of the vehicle. I stopped, checked everything I could quickly check and as I found nothing wrong, I kept going, paying attention on the possible new signs that would reveal the cause of the sound. It was very week, I was not even sure if the sound was real or not and after some km the sound completely disappeared. After cca 10 km I felt that a steering wheel jogged for a moment, it was as if something blocked the right tire for a moment. Alarm in my head went off, something was definitively wrong. Stopped, checked around the wheel, found nothing. Started driving, making sharp turns while watching the front right wheel, noticed no play, nothing. Continued driving, first slowly, then, after nothing showed for few km, continued driving with usual pace. After cca 15 km, I smelled the burning grease, stopped and it was apparent: front right knuckle was melting hot! :icon-eek: Begun cooling it, slowly poured small amounts of water on it, after an hour and cca 40 litres of water I could begin the work.

21181521.jpg

It was soon apparent that we have reached the camping spot for this day, maybe even for few days ...
The CV was touching and filing the stub axle, which consequently partly melted. I had to saw off parts of stub axle to release the disk brake assembly.

21181523.jpg

It was the failure of the outer bearing that was the cause of this. The bearings were changed cca 50 kkm ago and inspected just before our trip. I suspect it was the really rough driving in the north of Burkina Faso that took its toll here (we broke both rear OME springs there and you know they don't break easily), together with very difficult desert we just crossed. Whatever the reason, the vehicle had to be made mobile again, so on I went with disassembly, mostly cutting and braking half-melted parts.

21181526.jpg

Of course I always have a set of new spare bearings in the truck, but somehow I don't tow a spare LC behind me so stub axle was not among the parts I had in my reserve. So I hitchhiked to Tidjikia while the navigator stayed with the car and just as the night fell, I hitchhiked back. But without the stub axle. They were loaded with Hilux parts but short on LC station wagon parts (the Hilux stub axle is different, a bit longer. It may fit for emergency they said, but I wasn's sure it would). So on I went with the improvisation. I reused the old stub axle, cutting and bending it so it held the disk assembly with the new bearing.

21181527.jpg

So we changed our plans, a bit sad that we couldn't continue with the exploration of the Mauritanian desert, and went straight to Nouakchott, cca 600 km. The improvised repair held without a complaint. In NKC they bathe in LC parts, so I bought stub axle from a 105 series, profiting with needle bearing upgrade I considered doing prior our trip but abandoned the idea because the high cost of the part at our Toyota stealership (107 EUR for one bearing :icon-rolleyes:).

So kind regards from NKC at the moment.
Watch your bearings! :character-oldtimer:

Oooooh, that's ugly Damjan stuck out in the middle of nowhere!

Shame you had to abandon Plan A, still, plans are plans and they're made to be changed!

Good luck with the bearing!

So we settled in Awsard, a "mountain" village in Western Sahara.
The distance to the nearest town (Dakhla) is a little less than 300 km.
Sometimes we go "shopping".
This is how we do it.
:icon-biggrin:

Kind regards

great trip, whats the security situation like out there?
haven't travelled round there for about 7 years but would love to go back again.

Security in Western Sahara and Mauritania is absolutely not a problem, contrary to the popular opinion.
It seems that everybody that travels here indenpendently shares more or less the same opinion on the security situation.
Some thoughts on the subject of the security situation in Mauri also in a blogpost written by the renown travel photographer Mitchell Kanashkevich.

Great blog post - thanks for sharing the link.

Some interesting news, my overlanding friends.

As many of you know, I somehow fell in love with the Western Sahara. It's been now three years I'm visiting this country regularly for extended periods of time, exploring the inlands and again and again discovering that this country has a wealth of freshness and exclusivity to offer to a 4x4 overlander.
When I begun the exploration of the WS in the spring of 2011, my first steps were slow and insecure, mainly because there were no up-to-date guidebooks nor any other reliable information available about the overlanding possibilities in WS. And the situation has not improved a bit.

So in spring of this year (2013) I decided to start writing the guidebook that would specifically address the subject of the rich possibilities of the 4x4 overlanding in the WS. I have already collected large amounts of GPS and POI data from my explorations, driving so far more than 15 kkm all around WS.

WS-TracksSoFarSS.jpg

Presented above are only the main directions I have explored so far, many deviations and shorter connections are omitted for the sake of clarity.

I decided I can commit the few months of time that I intend to stay here (yes, I'm working in WS again) to finish the field research and write the guidebook I have in mind. With this intention I have started an Indiegogo fundraising campaign to raise funds needed to produce a quality guidebook that would benefit the 4x4 overland community, widening the horizons and allowing 4x4 explorers to more easily take a decision and explore this gem of the Sahara.

The link to the campaign: Western Sahara inlands

Kind regards from Awsard, WS, at the moment.

Attachments

• WS-TracksSoFarS.jpg
    WS-TracksSoFarS.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I think this is a great idea. WS is a place most people (myself included sadly) just fly through on the boring coast road to get somewhere else. I think because it is pretty featureless from the road few people think of exploring further. I think also the security position worries some people (namely with regards to land mines and insurgents)

have you thought about covering the costs of the book by using something like this

http://www.blurb.com/create-photo-books

alternatively, speak to Chris Scott's publishers, I think they are called trailmaster.

let me know when it is done, I would like a copy!!

I can see that as morocco becomes more developed more people will become interested in somewhere like WS

Last edited:
Back