Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello

THL

Country Flag
europe
Hello,

I'm Toby and I'm on here to learn to keep my Dad's 80s series Amazon going. I was directed to this forum by a member from the HPOC forum (Do you have same name on here Luxxy?) followings some good advice.

The truck is an unmodified 1996 80s series, diesel, manual Amazon that was owned by the Open University in Milton Keynes and then bought by my father as his 'Expedition vehicle' for use whilst surveying Mount Etna. Its served him very well for the last 12 years (far better than any Landrover in his opinion) however at 136,000 its now needing some TLC to keep it going. It does about 7,000 miles a year, approximately 4000 of those off road on the volcano.

The plan for it is to just keep it in good running order as any breakdowns on the trip itself costs him time in lost surveying etc. plus I think he's grown quite attached to it as have I.

Anything else you think is interesting or relevant? I'm the most novice of novice mechanics so you'll get some pretty basic/silly questions, please be patient :smiley:. I've just about got a service on my HiLux under my belt.

Heres a few pics of last September's trip;
French Alpine pass on the way down to Sicily
Alpine_zpsy0lkqdky.jpg

Some of the more friendly woodland trails on the South side of the Volcano
Forest_zpsxnnkj7mo.jpg

A break in surveying the Southern flank of Etna
Average%20day_zpsqseyavk4.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from France! Thats a proper job for an 80 :) Just needs a lift, and a few bits n pieces and she will be right :)

Reactions: THL
Sounds like a great way to use an 80 Series! Also a newbie member!

These guys on the forum are very helpful so I'm sure you'll enjoy the learning curve (like me) :thumbup:

Nice pics by the way!

Great intro Toby, there’s a Land Cruiser at work doing what it does best!

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Back