Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help needed: long term storage precautions for truck

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
There is an increasing chance I will be moving to Hong Kong soon and I have a dilemma with the truck [which I would never sell]. It looks unlikely that taking it is the right move given there are few places to drive it [China frowns upon RHD and my truck is an overlander rather than a "pay and play" which is where the local land cruiser club drives in the New Territories]. Therefore I have to look into options here and precautions to take. I want the truck to be an as good condition as I can get it.
Given the UK winter weather etc, would it be right to say that rust will increase over two years if stored off road but outside? I've been told that car covers are next to useless [some rain protection] if the truck remains outside.
Should I consider a dry lock-up storage [pretend the truck is a ferrari or something] - if so, is this expensive/advisable? There is a chance the company may pay to store it.

In terms of what to do for the truck before storage I would guess:
Batteries out and on a charger [two years will be pushing it]
Tank full to avoid rust developing inside - any additives?
Change all oils
Regular driving is better for a truck than sitting around but I assume starting it regularly without going far will cause more damage than not driving it so regularly (creating condensation without it burning off).
Some sort of dehumidifaction internally [suggestions?]
Any other ways to minimise rust?
Any other suggestions?
Is it a lost cause [although Chris's new beast seemed immobile for a while longer than two years]

And yes, I have contemplated driving there ;) . Not sure the paymasters will agree to it and then I'd have an interesting dilemma with the truck once there.

New battires when you get back to it and you can get a big bag (you need to research it) that includes air con, so the rust (if any) will not get worse. Besd to have it on stands so the wheels are off the ground and there is no weight on the springs. Take the heater plugs out and put a drop of oil down each, just remember to turn it over to get the oil out before you start it.

Paul

The 62 I just bought was stored inside for 4 years. The po had it completely steam washed underneath before hand.

He then put on the marigolds and went mad with heavy grease on every linkage etc. Spray grease around door hinges and other delicate bits.

I have to say it preserved her remarkably well and is a testament to his thoroughness.

I'll offer to look after it for you while you're away Simon - promise not to take it near any trees... :oops:

:D :D Gav, I have perused the Lincomb pics VERY closely and if I leave it with you, I should have gone to specsavers :ugeek:
Looks like a great day out for everyone - what a collection of trucks.
Thanks for the info on here so far - i thought the thread may be useful for others. Paul is that "big bag" solution an indoor solution or an outdoor one?

SimonD said:
I have perused the Lincomb pics VERY closely
No no no, they were fine after a light t-cut last night when I got back... :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
wow that looks ace... haha..

Listen you can put it in my garage for a small fee if you want...
Don't worry I won't touch it just park it in the corner..
once the Pug is out there is plenty of space..

Have you considered a container?
a 20 footer is cheap to buy if you have somewhere to put it...

Back