Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HELP non starter

Well I got the starter motor out the nuts were quiet easy really but getting the starter out was a bit of a pain I tried for about an hour then I removed the oil filter and got it out in no time so my tip if your doing yours TAKE THE OIL FILTER OFF and come out the top with it :doh: ,just waiting for the kit now having cleaned the motor of all the crud and oil collected from changing the oil filter I would guess it was a real mess.

Mines a non-starter too. I bashed it, talked to it nicely then swore at it, nothing :thumbdown: so I got a starter from Steff and spoke to the nice mechanic at the end of my road who came along and hit it again, guess what? the bloody thing started, he's now putting Steff's starter in. I was getting severe withdrawal symptoms after being without transport for nearly two weeks :thumbdown:

Chris told me yesterday to give it a crack with a mallet so I tried it but no joy hopefully kit will be here tomorrow or thursday. :thumbup:

Cossack said:
Mines a non-starter too. I bashed it, talked to it nicely then swore at it, nothing :thumbdown: so I got a starter from Steff and spoke to the nice mechanic at the end of my road who came along and hit it again, guess what? the bloody thing started, he's now putting Steff's starter in. I was getting severe withdrawal symptoms after being without transport for nearly two weeks :thumbdown:
Well Steff's starter is in now but it still won't start off my batteries, it starts off the mechanics Snap-On power pack so it seems like I've got a second problem now, the battery monitor says the alternator is charging at 14.5v. I'll put a meter across the batteries in the morning but it's probably a battery that's fubar :(

Hi fitted the kit this morning and the mechanic gods must have been smiling down on me because the starter motor went straight back in first try (in from the top) everything re-installed and started first turn of the key took about 40 mins start to finish. One of the copper contacts had nearly worn through no wonder it wouldn`t start.
A big thankyou to all for the help and advice :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
RESULT!!! Well done Mike. :cool:

Where did you get your parts from in the end?

michael said:
Hi fitted the kit this morning and the mechanic gods must have been smiling down on me because the starter motor went straight back in first try (in from the top) everything re-installed and started first turn of the key took about 40 mins start to finish. One of the copper contacts had nearly worn through no wonder it wouldn`t start.

I did mine through the front wheel arch IIRC. Gynecologist job though making it hard to have the strength to lift the starter motor up and back into postion with arms out stretched although my young mate managed it with ease :oops: :mrgreen:

michael said:
He, he, he,

When will you be uploading the photo's ?

Graham

Hello.
Gav I got the kit from e bay £14.95 delivered next day I just had to use the original bolts and the battery plastic nut if you know what I mean.
24seven I undid the bolts and took the battery cable and the connector off through the wheel arch and attempted to get it out that way but my arms gave in so as I said I took it out through the top then dropped it back in from the top then went through the wheel arch and jiggled it back in first go too I must say I wasn`t looking forward to it as you say your arms sure do ache holding that weight up with outstretched arms but it went straight in thank god.
Graham, Sorry I didnt take any pics as it seems to have been covered pretty well and to be truthful I was on my own and the starter motor was covered in oil and old gunk when I was taking it out and my hands were the same I think it must all drop onto it when the oil is changed from the oil filter drip catcher if thats what its called, I cleaned it up before re-installing though, I could take some pics to show how I got it out if anybody wants but I wont be taking it out again(hopefully) ;) .

Hello Just to update the thread with the news that the starter motor is not playing ball it is not turning over on a morning unless I use the brother in laws car to help jump it so thats 3 batteries to kick it off, I had a mechanic come today and he said the starter needs changing ,once its started it`ll start up again all day but not the next morning unless it has 3 batteries full of power so I`ve bit the bullet and ordered a new one.

Back