Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with installing polyurethane bushing

Joakim Forøysund

Country Flag
norway
Hi!
I bought new polyurethane bushings for my Prado from Milner (these: https://www.milneroffroad.com/toyot...-bush-kit-to-chassis-one-side-su0225k/SU0225K).

I expected them to be split in half, but the ones for the lower wishbones don’t seem to come apart. How to I install these? Do I press them in place with the flange first? Because that doesn’t seem to be possible... Or do I pry them apart first and install them from each side? That doesn’t seem to be possible either. :p Or do I split the ring in the wishbone itself? Because that’s simply not an option, LOL. :p

q-55yWCr7OhjR-AlITBusZLtq7XOIhTyzxy_rQ-H4sqvvRhG87bjllCi8xO0CHR8rxBY1vOpa9ix7fJb0CN4kP9NpM=w2400.jpg

Any help appreciated!

Well the ones in that pic certainly do split. That's how most Milner products work. Personally I don't use them as they tend to wear quite badly. Some do come complete and it's best to soak them on hot water for a bit to get them pliable then use some grease and push them on. There are a number of ways to do this using a bolt, washer and a socket for example. But those just look like they need twisting apart to be honest.

Thanks! I’ll try again then. Didn’t want to risk damaging them if they weren’t meant to come apart.

I’ve heard both positive and negative about Milner bushings, so I figured I’d try them and see. They’re cheap enough, that’s for sure. :)

Help? Yes, don't use them. Use oem. They last for ages and give a more complient ride.

Reactions: RNS
Sure they're cheap and handy for a fix and flog situation. But the split design (and they're not the only ones to do this) isn't very good. As the bush is flexed the two mating surfaces rub together and eventually create slack. This allows the central bushing to wiggle around too and before you know it, it's knackered. Genuine are best but some of the Febest stuff from Germany is very good too and considerably cheaper. I've used quite a number of these and they've been excellent. Genuine ones like this often come in a steel sleeve which you press in. Replacing them with something that is then poly on metal makes no real sense.
I would genuine parts each and every time, including the air in my tyres if it weren't for the frankly ridiculous prices for some of them. But for a job like this that you really don't want to have to do again in 6 months, I'd go with a quality part not the Milners option.

Plenty of soap is the key.
Also remove the metal inner sleeve.
Push them in with a vice.
This is my triumph vitesse but might help

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
0BD9B7FF-8976-4CD4-9959-7DEAEA62CD82.jpeg
Those poly bushes seem quite easy to install. When I replaced the rear control arm bushes (OEM) I had ideas of pushing them in with the vice....no chance!
I think the term is Interference fit!

Thanks for all input guys. They sure did come apart. The bushing was just sticking to the sleeve.

With regards to quality, I am sure you are right. I already got them in the wishbones, so I’ll just install and see how long they last. I searched around and found that many use Milner parts and think they are great. When Milner was the one place I could order everything I needed in one go, the decision was easy to make. If I’m unhappy with the quality, I’ll just pick something else next time.

Yes, it is quite some job to replace all these, but after all, with my “new” Land Cruiser this is the first time I truly enjoy fixing my car. It’s just so easy, intuitive and roomy. Boy, am I hooked! :D

Roughtrax. They supply parts mostly for Landcruisers and Hilux models. Down Bristol way.

Some of Milners stuff is great and often they have surplus genuine stock. Really good when you're in a tight spot. Handy to carry as 'get out of trouble' spares. But some of it really isn't very good. I do tell them this so they know, but there are people out there who want dirt cheap parts and don't care.

Back