Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with making her look great again

LC80GD

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all,

So our LC80 was bought as a Cat C write off after someone decided to vandalise it using various pots of red paint. She then sat in a scrap yard for a while before being bought by our mechanic. Hours of work by said dedicated mechanic has resulted in the worst of the paint coming off from the sides and and glass. The worst is still on the roof, pic below. I have managed to now clear the sunroof enough for it to work properly.

At a distance she is presentable but up close her actual paintwork has suffered badly from having the vandalism paint removed and it being sat for a while. There are lots of scraps of paint left over the bodywork.

Pic of the car as it stands now also below.

So here is the challenge....we want to give the bodywork a new lease of life. So need to do another pass at getting back to just the cars original paintwork. I have read about bathing it in vegetable oil?? The main issue is that it appears the paint poured over her is various types.

Once as much as possible is off it's time to try and lift the finish so open to ideas as to what is the best option. Cutting compound and buffing with a wax?

Essentially I want to get it looking as good as possible without going for a full respray! Would be great to see her looking youthful!

Thanks all

Gavin

Screenshot_20171001-220142.png
Screenshot_20170925-094839.png

Assuming that the lacquer is pretty much in tact then in theory the larger lumps may just scrape off with a plastic body filler type scraper. you could then try WD40 which is essentially white spirit, I would also imagine that using rags seeped in standard thinners will reduce the paint enough to wipe it off although you may need to leave on for a few minutes. if there are any real stubborn bits you ma.y need to wet flat with 1500 and then buff it back up. I would say that it is salvageable though

Fortunately , for you anyway , you can't buy decent paint any more so i would lay some kitchen roll over the splashes and soak the roll with white spirits , give it an hour's soak and you might blast it off with a power washer .

Trying to remove excess paint even with an electric polisher is a bugger of a job , T-cut tends to get through the good paint as much as it does the raised patch .

I would probably expect to end up using these paint finishing pads and white spirits to scrub it off and accepting its going to need painting afterwards .

upload_2017-10-2_2-22-51.jpeg

What a shame :( do you think the prev owner had been a naughty boy and his wife got some revenge? White spirit would be my best gusee - failing that get it wrapped :)

They done a good job throwing paint on the roof. It was orange originally?
Laughing aside I would try a hair drier to heat the blobs of paint up to see if it softens so you can peel it off. If it's plastic emulsion wall paint this softens in water so try soaking in a towel for half an hour with warm water and detergent.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks all, going try a few things this weekend. It has been on for we think about 3 years so it's fairly set in place!!

Back