Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi all I'm a newbie

Kieron

Country Flag
uk
hi all
i have just bought my first Amazon 100
it is a 2004 model
i have noticed rust on upper tailgate, boot light stays on when indoor position even after doors are shut, Any ideas on how to sort these problems ???
no doubt I'll be back soon with plenty of other questions
cheers Kieron in the UK

Hi Kieron,

Welcome to the forum.

Rust on tailgate, depending on severity is a body shop job (IMO).

Light stsying on will be due to a door switch not being pushed (unlikely) door not shut (possibly) or more likely a cable trapped and earthing down to the body. Check for any modifications which have had screws inserted that could have caught wiring. You could try taking the door switches out and seeing if the light goes out.

Best wishes

Richard

Welcome to the forum Kieron.

As Rich (Star Cruiser) says, some systematic isolation might narrow it down. On my 80, the door switches work when you test them, but only 2 of the 4 operate the light and those same 2 doors show up on the 'door open' dash indicator.

It's very confusing to me, I hate electrickery....

Hi all
thanks for the warm welcome
I'll investigate the switches for the interior light
re modifications ....a rear spoiler was fitted in the last few months so this may be the guilty party
regarding the rusting tail gate How does the water get there to cause the rust ?
if it needs a respray etc is it necessary to remove the back window etc or is it a case of removing the reg plate lights , rub don etc
is there a good place for getting parts cheaper than the local Toyota garage ???
first thing to replace are the two very tired looking reg lights
Regards all
Kieron in The Peak District

Welcome Kieron, good trucks 100's, but they are prone to rust in certain areas, the tailgate being one of them. Take it to the local Toyota dealers as the 100's had a recall on the tailgate issue, they may well replace it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Look at Amayama.com or the newly discovered Partsouq in the UAE.

Tailgate I've no idea about, sorry. If the glass is on a rubber, maybe it is trapping water. If this is the case it will be straightforward for a body shop to remove and refit. There is an excellent non setting butyl screen dealer I have used that comes from EBay.

If it's bonded in, that's another matter and as I say, I really don't know. Electrics is my bag, not bodywork (except a bit on the 80 series but that probably doesn't help).

I expect someone in the know will be along to help.

Hi Star
thanks for that
I am also on the look out for a deep boot rear mat with an upstanding of at least 6" ......150 mm
has anyone got a clue where I can buy one I've seen them fitted to cars advertised for sale on Autotrader

cheers all

Sometimes the original Toyota boot liners come up for sale on Ebay, or perhaps a breaker of 100's may get a truck with one in. I got mine on the bay for £45 but had to travel 100 miles each way to get it as they are quite flimsy out of their intended position in the truck. One thing though, the original boot liners for the 100 have quite large cut outs for the rearmost seats ( which I always remove) so bear that in mind.

hi Andy
Thanks for that, I plan taking the back two seats out also but I really want a high boot liner.
Is there anyone out there that makes one that fits the whole area with the seats out ??
also could you tell me where to find the switch located about the back door that puts the interior light on when the back doors are open....I am referring to the tailgate doors
i seem to have a question everyday and thank you all for your assistance
cheers Kieron

hi Andy
Thanks for that, I plan taking the back two seats out also but I really want a high boot liner.
Is there anyone out there that makes one that fits the whole area with the seats out ??
also could you tell me where to find the switch located about the back door that puts the interior light on when the back doors are open....I am referring to the tailgate doors
i seem to have a question everyday and thank you all for your assistance
cheers Kieron

I think the switch will be within the tailgate catch mechanism in the door (top) . I'd check the routing of the wiring to check for trapped or shorting out wiring as it sounds like its either going to earth or the switch is stuck shut and connecting permanently to earth.
Regarding the boot liner I've only seen the Toyota ones with a 6" lip. Maybe you will have to make a custom one to fit the boot space to your requirements.

Back