Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from Africa

James101

Hi All,

I am based out in Botswana and recently swapped my 80 series workhorse for a 70 series - Don't think they are available in the UK. Was gutted to give up the 80 as it had travelled all over southern Africa with me in deserts and rivers (!) but it went to a good home. The 70 series doesn't seem to have quite as much grunt in the thick sand even though it is still a 4.2 diesel, but goes like a dream on the easier terrain, and doesn't have any fancy electrics was is vital for the water-crossings. It also came fully kitted with OME shocks, Long range tank and drawers at the back - all fitted by a guy in SA who had never gone off-road!

Before I bought the 70 I had hoped to ship another 80 out from the UK and even bought one in very good nick and low mileage but then found out it doesn't have air-con, which is a killer out here in the 40+ degree heat when I take the family to the bush. Am going to list it on Ebay but wanted to let you guys know first as I would prefer it to go to a good home.

I gather there are rules governing when you can post something n the classifieds but wasn't too sure what they are ? Nice to meet some fellow enthusiasts though.

James

Hi James, welcome to the forum!

As for selling on the forum, I'd best leave that for one of the administrators to advise.

I can imagine the change from an 80 to a 70, not that I've ever driven a 70. There are a lot of 70 fans here, but also a big demand for the "right" 80.

Aircon is almost a prerequisite these days, but if the condition is good and the price is right, I'm sure you'll get some takers...

Best of luck, and be warned, we love photos, any type (for some strange reason) :lol:

Welcome James, you are living in a lovely part of the world, I lived in Gabs for 4 years and spent many happy days in Chobe and the Delta in my 80 series, why not import another 80 from Japan...

Welcome James, you are living in a lovely part of the world, I lived in Gabs for 4 years and spent many happy days in Chobe and the Delta in my 80 series, why not import another 80 from Japan...

Thanks - Did look at that option but decided it was too much of a lottery. You can get lucky but enough horror stories out there of wound back mileage, etc to make me think twice. Difficult to know who you are dealing with. Also the duty on importing a vehicles form outside of southern Africa means it is not so financially attractive as it once was.

When were you in Gabs ? It has changed quite a bit in the last few years (not all for the good!) Fortunately I am up in Maun - nice and quiet!

Pity you are not able to import easily anymore, I bought a 35k mile mint one and even had Mr Dada servicing it for me. Yes I was in Gabs as I was in a commercial business, would have swapped it for Maun in a flash though....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Howzit James,

I'll be up in Maun in April en route Khaudum... let's make a plan

Sounds good - am going to be in and out of the bush a bit in April, but let me know your dates and we will make a plan.

Back