Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from Scotland

Rolexroz

Country Flag
scotland
Good evening and thanks for such a seemingly wise and friendly site.

As per the suggestions for what to write here, I have concocted the flollowing:

I am now the extremely happy owner of a 1996 Prado 90 with the 1kz-te engine, it has about 250000Km on the clock and is in absolutely fantastic condition, with only surface rust apparent on the chassis and underside.

It comes complete with intercooler and I strongly suspect it also has a number of other tweaks to the standard model. I have based my assumptions on the basis that it pulls like a train, is happy to spin wheels in the wet, but, on the downside returns about 21mpg AT BEST and that is when on a long motorway run at about 60mph. If I drive it locally and have a right foot as gentle as can be it drops to about 15mpg.

Anyway, I have been used to Land Rover Discovery's over the past 9 years or so and in comparison the Toyota is a revelation.

But it is not quite perfect, the previous owners dog has nibbled at the steering wheel (eeuughh!). I am currently awaiting the arrival of a self stitch leather wheel cover, but, I would much prefer a new wheel.

I contacted Toyota in the UK , who, given the age of the car, are unable to assist. So I was wondering, do wheels from other Toyota models have the same fitting with airbag attachment as my wonderful Landcruiser, or is there some way of having my wheel made as new again?

Also, I feel I am extremely fortunate to have the rare round headlight version of the Prado, as opposed to the normal rectangular ones. However they are beginning to lose their chromed reflective surface and as such they will require to be replaced in the near future. Is it possible to find replacements with either LED's or higher powered bulbs?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is better to ask the experts than to fumble about in the dark.

Many thanks to those who managed to read through this so far.

Rod

P.S. If anyone should have a rear load cover or rear heavy duty rubber carpet cover then please get in touch.

Welcome Roz. Regarding the steering wheels from KW, I've had 3 and been very pleased, however if I have another I would have it in the gloss finish rather than the dull/matt finish I have had so far, also if he doesn't have a core wheel to have covered you may have to be without yours for a couple of weeks.

Welc
Good evening and thanks for such a seemingly wise and friendly site.

As per the suggestions for what to write here, I have concocted the flollowing:

I am now the extremely happy owner of a 1996 Prado 90 with the 1kz-te engine, it has about 250000Km on the clock and is in absolutely fantastic condition, with only surface rust apparent on the chassis and underside.

It comes complete with intercooler and I strongly suspect it also has a number of other tweaks to the standard model. I have based my assumptions on the basis that it pulls like a train, is happy to spin wheels in the wet, but, on the downside returns about 21mpg AT BEST and that is when on a long motorway run at about 60mph. If I drive it locally and have a right foot as gentle as can be it drops to about 15mpg.

Anyway, I have been used to Land Rover Discovery's over the past 9 years or so and in comparison the Toyota is a revelation.

But it is not quite perfect, the previous owners dog has nibbled at the steering wheel (eeuughh!). I am currently awaiting the arrival of a self stitch leather wheel cover, but, I would much prefer a new wheel.

I contacted Toyota in the UK , who, given the age of the car, are unable to assist. So I was wondering, do wheels from other Toyota models have the same fitting with airbag attachment as my wonderful Landcruiser, or is there some way of having my wheel made as new again?

Also, I feel I am extremely fortunate to have the rare round headlight version of the Prado, as opposed to the normal rectangular ones. However they are beginning to lose their chromed reflective surface and as such they will require to be replaced in the near future. Is it possible to find replacements with either LED's or higher powered bulbs?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is better to ask the experts than to fumble about in the dark.

Many thanks to those who managed to read through this so far.

Rod

P.S. If anyone should have a rear load cover or rear heavy duty rubber carpet cover then please get in touch.
Welcome and good purchase

Welcome aboard Rod, nice purchase, but some photos would be welcomed, when you’ve worked out how to upload them :lol::thumbup:

I might have a LWB 95series Colorado plastic boot floor liner tray in my garage, which part of Scotland are you in ? I’m aberdeenshire

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks so much to all the above respondents.

Firstly can I apologise if I have asked the same questions previously, I seem to recall doing so some time back but cannot find where I asked, old age is a curse right enough!

I am in sunny Lesmahagow but as I have the SWB version of the Toyota I would guess that the 95 will be far too long, but thanks for the thought anyway.

Another quick question, everything about the car is SOOOO MUCH better than any of my Land Rovers, in so many ways, but the lower ball joints worry me. Everything I have read would tend to suggest that if they are from a source other than Toyota themselves then there is a tendency to cause a huge accident. I have just noticed that when turning a very tight circle ( and being a Land Cruiser it is a very very tight turning circle) I can hear a groaning sound on both locks.

So, beig terrified of a wheel coming adrift from the mounting at motorway speeds, should I continue to drive it normally, or just drive it to a garage to get original Toyota ball joints fitted.

Lastly, are there any comments on my seemingly excessive consumption of fuel?

Many thanks once more, Rolexroz

I got Toyota garage in Elgin to replace both lower ball joints on my Colorado before I did a Morocco trip, mainly for peace of mind, it had done about 95k miles

Fuel consumption
Has it been serviced, new oil and filter, fuel filter and air filter

Any brakes binding, feel wheels after a drive, or jack up each corner and make sure wheels spin freely.
I had binding brake once and it increased fuel consumption

Has it got a performance chip fitted, that might explain it ?

Thanks for your words of wisdom Andy.

So far the car(or is it unfair to refer to it in this manner as it is not really a car, but it is my "car.")has had a full service with the fuel, oil and air filters replaced. Lovely new oil poured into the engine and all brakes checked. The rear had a problem with sticking calipers and both were replaced. No sticking brakes now.

I contacted the previous owner and asked about any chip or tuning having been added, but he assured me it was standard.........but then again he would, wouldn't he?

The actual consumption does not bother me, but the limited range does.

I guess fuel pump could have been tweaked, I don’t know much about that, but people on here have talked about adjusting them via a screw on top to increase fuelling.

Has it got standard sized tyres, are they aggressive super swampers :)
Larger tyres or chunky mud plugging treads also increase fuel use

Hi and welcome!

It could be that it needs a good dose of Wynn’s Eco Diesel (almost empty tank and a whole can) and driving like you stole it. Diesels love being driven hard. Known as an ‘Italian Tune Up’. Other than that, possibly partial blockage of the air intake due to gunge from the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system which many folks delete.

Back