Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi

Fett

I put this in the introductions section but thought it may go better in here, so here goes:

Hi
I am new here and to land cruisers, am looking to get one after several years of frustration with range rovers inclduing totally rebuilding a 1972 model I ahve decided to get something that works every day without hassel ie a landcruiser!

after some helpfull advice on the owners forum/site I have decided and 80 series is the way to go., probably the 4.2 doozel so i can use veg oil.

any tips on what to look for when buying and what model,spec to get would be much appreciated.

I have seen ebay item 170667346917 which is a bit pricey for me but seems nice, what do you think? overpriced.

I do go laning a bit but nothing killer, my only stipulation is I dont want to have to do much more work on anything lol and also I want aircon!

Thanks for any advice you can offer, and sorry if I double posted were I shouldnt? :oops:

Your here then Fett, something for you on the dark side.
Oh & welcome

Hi

Good luck with your search for an 80. At the risk of being shot down in flames I don't think there is enough quality control in veg oil to risk using it. I have seen a number of posts here by people having probs after using veg oil, especially over a long period.

I looked at your item. Have not got a clue what it's worth...sorry.

"Brightwells" have a regular 4x4 auction. They often have Land Cruisers. I think on that path you may get what you pay for.

Frank

thanks guys, brightwells might be a bit far on the off chance but thanks for the idea, I guess it depends what the savings are?

I was thinking of running on 25% veg oil maybe (after paying the tax of course :D )

yes I am fully signed up to all the landcruiser forums I can find now :p , mind you still tryinng to work most of them lol

Where are you, what condition do you want and how much do you want to pay? as mine might be up for sale soon.

Paul

so whats the story with these guys?

ebay again 300585668116

I ntoice its only a 3ltr , bit small for me but are they good?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hi guys here is one I am thinking of but its a petrol, didnt know there was one!

ebay 330598445193

what do you think its worth and what questions should I ask the guys and check my self?

do the petrols have the beb problems?

how do toyotas like lpg? I know the rover v8 didnt lol

Many thanks for all the help

Paul_Humphreys said:
Where are you, what condition do you want and how much do you want to pay? as mine might be up for sale soon.

Paul

sorry I missed that post, I will pm you.

Fett said:
hi guys here is one I am thinking of but its a petrol, didnt know there was one!

ebay 330598445193

what do you think its worth and what questions should I ask the guys and check my self?

do the petrols have the beb problems?

how do toyotas like lpg? I know the rover v8 didnt lol

Many thanks for all the help

Hey Fett, Welcome to the club.

The petrol 80 is great, but thirsty. I wouldn't buy one that doesn't already have LPG installed. Even then you can pick them up for a fair bit cheaper than the diesels. They also tend to have been better looked after and have lower mileage.

They don't have the BEB problem.

The only issues that they have, which are generally regarded as maintenance items is
1. the PHH (pesky heater hose) which should be changed after a 100, 000miles. It's called the pesky heater hose because it's a PITA to change.

2. Headgasket - A few people have had these blow. Not by any means common but has happened. It is a bit of a debate on the US forums as to whether or not you should change it out as a PM item.

I have a petrol 80 with LPG and couldn't be happier with it :cool:

great, you dont wanna sell it to me do you :p

nah thats great info thanks, this one has done 240k miles so maybe a lil on the high side but I have emailed him anyway with some questions.

how are the head gaskets to do and is this hose do able without engine removal :p

The headgasket doesn't look to hard to do. Just time consuming.

The hose can be done by removing the PS wheel. Just fiddly...

240k is high, not by any means high for a Landcruiser though.

What is your budget? I paid £5500 for mine. That was with LPG & OME 50mm. With 106k on the clock. So you should be able to find summing with much less miles on it.

thanks for that , I have emailed them and asked about it , will keep you posted as a look would be very much appreciated

i wonder if it has cats? and it that kit has the lubricator?

Ryan Thomson said:
The headgasket doesn't look to hard to do. Just time consuming.

The hose can be done by removing the PS wheel. Just fiddly...

240k is high, not by any means high for a Landcruiser though.

What is your budget? I paid £5500 for mine. That was with LPG & OME 50mm. With 106k on the clock. So you should be able to find summing with much less miles on it.

budget was about 2.5k to get past the wife but a bit higher might be ok as I dont want to have to do much more work on cars, had enough with landys!

I am thinking seriously about the petrol one paul humphreys reccomends above.

they says the seal is wet on one side, is that a big job/expensive to do? I may not do it my self this time as I am getting tired lol

is the aircon expensive to fix on these, they say it doesnt work.

I might be meeting him somwhere between hampshire and there to have a look if anyone could give me an expert eye?

also if there are any other weak spots on the petrol?

is has lpg and the lubricator, if anyone could explian the lubricator to me and how and hwere to check it that would be great as I have never ever come accross them before.

thanks for all the help!

oh and also in the pic it doesnt look like I can see the difflock switch but the guy says it has them all?

No diff lock switch there, usual for an import though. Not sure on a centre diff lock though.

The front axle rebuild should be budgeted for if history not known, not a usual servicing item. If everything is working correctly then might get away with just some bearings and seals, not too bad a job but careful where you source the parts as some aftermarket items are very poor quality, loads on here if you do a search. I think there is some good ones in the FAQ in the 80 section.

If you want a hand to view one just let me know, see if you can come along to one of the upcoming trips or camps, loads of anoraks to bore you to death. :think:

Fett said:
also if there are any other weak spots on the petrol?

It's a landcruiser, it doesn't have weak spots ;) Keep 'em serviced and they'll run nigh on forever.

Fett said:
is has lpg and the lubricator, if anyone could explian the lubricator to me and how and hwere to check it that would be great as I have never ever come accross them before.

The lubricator is valve saver fluid. There should be a bottle of sorts, looks like a bicycle water bottle, with a small diamter hose going from the lid to the intake manifold. Basically the vacuum created by the engine sucks in valve saver fluid which prevents valve seat recession caused by running on LPG. How much gets sucked is controlled by a small adjuster nut on the lid. This happens because LPG generally doesn't have all the additives that petrol has, also it's a dry burning fuel so tends to be harder on valves. But this is prevented by the use of the likes of Flash Lube. My bottle is located near the air box.

With regards to the aircon, no way to know really without investigation. Might just need a re gas....

With a budget of £2.5K you may have to settle for a higher mileage cruiser, but don't let this put you off. As mentioned with a little TLC and servicing these cruiser do run forever. Also for your budget I would think you could get a better condition petrol than you would a diesel.

thanks guys

paul, I would love a hand to look at one, I am in hampshire and the one I am looking at is west of telford so not the easiest thing to work out. I am thinking of meeting him one night after work next week probably closer to him than me and taking cash. If you can assist in any way it would help a lot. where are you based.

with the other issues I am having a hard time with the hub seal business as we arnt using landrover terms , sorry :naughty:

so on a lr the swives as we call them, the balls on the end of the front axel to alow turning nowadays have grease put in them if they leak oil and this cures it unless they are very bad, the actual axel/diff oil is in a seperate part of the axel and wont leak out of the ends no matter what.(well Ive never seen it anyway)

so how does that comepare to a land cruiser? and when he says hub seal what bit is he/you talking about?

with the difflocks he says there are switches for front and rear when he switches them the lights come on , I am guessing thats right? would it have a viscous centre difflock as there is no switch for it?

And my final question for the next 5 mins is?

whats the story with your autoboxs on these, do they have a dipstick, are they meachnically goverened? how reliable and whats the deal with service intervals?

I know on the older mechanicaly goverened landrover boxes if you changed the oil you were buggerd!

Thanks again, and forgive my ignorance, I am learning honest :)

Back