Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

House alarms

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
There's a wide ranging bunch of people here so... does anyone know anything about house alarms?

I have an 8 zone Avanti XP alarm which I installed about 5-6 years ago which is acting weirdly.
The company has since gone out of business so spares are a no-go. I've also lost the piece of paper with the master codes on :doh:

I want to replace it with, ideally, something which can reuse the sensors I already have. Is there anything which is internet-connected (everything seems to be these days) and can email me?
Are wireless alarms worth it / better or worse than wired ones?

Options?

Disclaimer: It still functions and wakes the neighbourhood up when it gets triggered - don't come and try break in.

Cheers,
Crispin

Many years ago I used to install residential and commercial alarms and all I can say is that the advances in tech are unbelievable.

Live in the Volvo Cris, it probably has the most secure alarm system you'll get for your money :lol:

Any opinions on wireless vs wired Julian?

Might get a but crammed Clive. I'll suggest it to the wife... :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I am a fire and security engineer by trade and can offer some advice. I would not bother reusing your existing sensors. They are old and probably will start to go soon, but before they do they will do wierd things and give you grief. What you have to remember about security products is that they have to work 100% all the time. If you start to lose confidence in it, its worst than not having it.

If you have changed the layout of your property at all then that also needs to be taken into consideration. Reusing old cables may be fine but a lot of firms won't do it. I now only do wireless for domestics, this is due to cable runs being difficult without making holes and making a mess. Customers don't want to pay some one to come around and make good all the holes etc.. I don't want to be decorating. Also no one wants cables showing any more...

You can get a decent wireless system installed for same price as a wired system. I have installed about 50 wireless and hybrid (normal hard wired panel that uses wireless detectors) in the last year and have not been called back to resolve any issues or replace batteries.

Don't go to the big firms, they will rip you off and there are many hidden charges that only become apparent when you have had the system for 6 months or so. They also like to tie you into a contract and with some you don't own the system. If you stop paying they will come and remove the system.

There are (roughly speaking) 3 types of alarm system. Bells only, alarm triggers and the sounder goes off but nothing else happens, speech dialler, alarm triggers and bells go off and you will get a phone call or a text message, police response, alarm activates and bells go off and a monitoring station receives the signal and calls the police. By far the most popular is speech dialler systems.

As for which kit to use, ask 3 engineers and you will get 4 opinions! Every one has their favourites, I use Texecom and Galaxy. Both expensive but very good systems, a lot of Texecoms stuff is still made in the UK.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers

I would not bother reusing your existing sensors. They are old and probably will start to go soon, but before they do they will do wierd things and give you grief. What you have to remember about security products is that they have to work 100% all the time. If you start to lose confidence in it, its worst than not having it.
That is what I have at the moment - one of the PIRs keeps tripping for no reason. There are also a couple of other issues which make me want to replace it. I expected more than 5-6 years though. Is that normal?

I now only do wireless for domestics, this is due to cable runs being difficult without making holes and making a mess. ... snip... Also no one wants cables showing any more...
I would not mind the wires being ripped out. Not overly unsightly but they are there.

Don't go to the big firms, they will rip you off and there are many hidden charges that only become apparent when you have had the system for 6 months or so. They also like to tie you into a contract and with some you don't own the system. If you stop paying they will come and remove the system.
Nope - have no interest in going to the companies. Would rather put it in myself with lots of sounders and a dialer. I've got enough neighbours with keys who pop over each time the alarm goes off. With a dialer (and soon to be, CCTV) I can call the local policewoman to come see. Don't want to be paying anything monthly :eusa-naughty:

As for which kit to use, ask 3 engineers and you will get 4 opinions! Every one has their favourites, I use Texecom and Galaxy. Both expensive but very good systems, a lot of Texecoms stuff is still made in the UK.
Thanks, I'll take a look at those two systems and see what suits :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
5 or 6 years is good innings for an intruder alarm system. The idea is that when you have a maintenance done any issues are flagged up and detectors replaced. If you have an external bell and go to take it off wear some ear protection and get some one to foot the ladder!

5 or 6 years is good innings for an intruder alarm system. The idea is that when you have a maintenance done any issues are flagged up and detectors replaced.
Hmm, that seems a short life :( oh well, busy shopping now...

If you have an external bell and go to take it off wear some ear protection and get some one to foot the ladder!
Yup, did not do that last time. I started beating it like a man possessed with a club hammer to make it shut up.

Can the sounder be reused? It seems to be fine (been going off a few times lately :( )

I might PM you with a shopping list if you don't mind.

Depends what type it is, they have a standby battery that will be knackered by now (usually nicad), any decent kit will include a sounder. Yeah no probs just give me a shout.

Cheers

I would not bother reusing your existing sensors. They are old and probably will start to go soon, but before they do they will do wierd things and give you grief.

Not necessarily. I fitted our alarm almost 30 years ago and the 2 original PIR's are still working fine. I think they are Racal. I added another in the conservatory around 12 years ago and was sold a specific type to cope with the extra heat and light it would be subjected to and it has never malfunctioned. I've had issues with door contacts and had to change them but never any PIR problems. Wires can be hidden with time and effort, no problem if you're fitting your own but having it done will cost you. Personally I'd never go with a wireless system. Ours is quite a basic system by modern standards with only 3 zones plus E/E (enough for us) but I've added extra functionality over the years to bring on security lighting on trip, security loops for garden furniture etc.. etc.. Never had a main board or circuitry problem, probably due to it's simplicity. I've fitted more modern systems for relations and friends and had to change PCB's in the main and slave panels a few times. Can't see me 'upgrading' ours in the near future tbh. JMO

I have ran my previous toyota hilux surf with the 1kzte engine for 1 year on waste veg oil, thrashed it about and never even changed the oil! When I sold it it was still running fine and went to a guy who was driving it to Romania. I wouldn't advise it but I got away with it.

What I try and do when giving advice is best practice. If you are going to the trouble of doing any work the price of a few sensors are a pittance compared to the effort of putting them up. Anything with electronic components in it will degrade over time as the chemical, metal as well as various plastics start to decay. In an Intruder system, every part of the system is powered up 24h a day even if the alarm is not set.

Wireless technology has moved on leaps and bounds in the last few years, you now have 2 way comms between panel and detector and its a digital protocol. Like I have said they are now as reliable as wired systems in most domestic situations. The only downside is that they still have not come up with a decent dual tech wireless detector. (it uses too much battery!)

Also you have to take into account that things made years ago were better quality than what is being made today. I have removed panel lids and had a bucket of water pour out after the electrical riser was flooded, let the panel dry out and was still in use when I left the company 2 years later. That was a galaxy panel.

Also you have to take into account that things made years ago were better quality than what is being made today.

That is a very good point and could be said about many things these days unfortunately. There will always be those who are prepared to pay a premium for quality/durability but I guess most folks won't pay £50 when they can get what they see as the same thing for £25. JMO

That is a very good point and could be said about many things these days unfortunately. There will always be those who are prepared to pay a premium for quality/durability but I guess most folks won't pay £50 when they can get what they see as the same thing for £25. JMO

Hence why I drive old Toyotas (on my 5th one) and old mercs (on my 3rd one)! Never underestimate the durability of over engineering!!

I bought the parts to fit my alarm in 1988 and it's never let me down. We test it every time we go on holiday because we never hear from it. The make is "Scantronic 9448". The PIR's are "Pulscan Plus". The PIR's came with 5 year warranty. All still original. I think you need to pay top dollar for a good system but don't spend extra on unwanted features. Also simpler the better. I only fitted 1 door switch. I did alarm the meter box with a micro switch because our neighbours had their power turned off one night which made their security lights u.s.

I find scantronic menu really unintuitive, the ion range has been a bit hit and miss. I have installed a fair few but never really got on with them. I am now only installing texecom as their kit is mostly made in the UK.

Got a wireless sensor, wireless bell, and wireless long-distance response system.

It works every time: the Jack Russell wakes up the Rhodesian Ridgeback, who wakes up the entire neighborhood, and the .458 responds as needed... :icon-mrgreen:

Last edited:
Got a wireless sensor, wireless bell, and wireless long-distance response system.

It works every time: the Jack Russell wakes up the Rhodesian Ridgeback, who wakes up the entire neighborhood, and the .458 responds as needed... :icon-mrgreen:
:laughing-rolling:

Back