Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How Cheap Can I Do It

JackInacrack

Country Flag
united_states
Ok. So here it is. A real basket case. Paid just a few hundred bucks. Given the going prices for either stock or custom restored or rebuilt FJ40's, I figure it's worth a go. Its been rolled. Doors don't close. Doesn't Run. It's a challenge. '68 in beautiful red & pink camouflage patina. The project begins. Let's see how cheap we can do it. And I'm keepin' it, cuz I've always wanted an FJ40.

Certainly depends Jack if your skilled to do it yourself, cutting, folding sheet metal and welding is the cheapest way forward. Having someone else do it pushes the price up significantly.

Welcome Jack.
Looking at the photos I think it looks worse than it is... Excluding the front wing and step damage, it appears to be confined to the roof and upper panels but the screen surround looks okay. That being so you could remove the roof, and upper panels and you may find that the lower body is reasonably well aligned. You could turn it into a soft top for the price of a set of roof bars and a hood.
I shall follow your progress with interest.

Regards,

Rodger

Yep, get the engine running, remove what’s left of the roof, bleed the brakes and job done.

How is it that nobody would want to give garage room to any other vehicle in that condition, but a 40, it looks the business even before you start IMO :lol:

Another one here watching with interest... welcome to the forum BTW, Jack

your in the right place as well, an enviable supply of parts over there!

I can't believe my luck. An hour and a half with an agricultural jack and a couple of 4x4's and the body is now dead straight. All the doors close and all line up just right. The roof is trashed, though. It's beyond repair. I want a hard top, so I'll need to find another roof. Amazingly, ALMOST NO RUST! The only rust I can find is the rear sill below the cargo doors. The body will need some serious hammerin' though. The left side took a beating when it rolled. The front fender is too crunched to straighten.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back