Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How do I show my location on the map?

I've cleared the data for yours so it should stop working now. Can you update your settings now so I can see if it works....

edit -
I think I have just worked out what it is.... (try anyway please)

edit - double post.

It seems to work OK with my test users so should work fine with you.

Did you update your settings? Change it to Vegas or sumting and save.

I appear on the map now! I'm a real boy! =)

Now if I could just make my picture show up!

Paddler Ed -
Yours seems to be the same. Could you update your details (Click here and just press save) I want to see if yours starts working as well.

Ed, If yours starts working then I will look at doing a mass update for all who have it enabled to save the hassle.

There seems to have been a while when it stopped working so some people might have the field filled in but the system has not actually updated the coordinates.

Hi Crispin,

Just tried again, and got the following message:

"The map location you entered could not be worked out to a single location. Please enter something more specific and try again."

That was with Armidale, New South Wales, Australia as the Location.

edit:

I've just set it as where I grew up in the UK, and that's fine... so I'm going to carry on playing and will write up my findings....

For the the UK location I put village and county and had success. Still working on Australian solutions...

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did you update your settings? Change it to Vegas or sumting and save.
Yes updated settings and no go. Just tried setting it to that there London and still it shows a map of the world with all pins showing.

I've added some debug capturing to the process now so when you save I can see what was returned and why it did what it did. Bat21 - please save again so it grabs it.

Ed,

Yours does actually return two locations oddly.
First is this: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=-3...F-8&ei=_IHIUtKoL8jI0wWp74DADw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg
second is this: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=-3...4006,-0.275111&sspn=0.515889,1.352692&t=h&z=5

I'm going to change the process to allow you to enter a lat and lng and it'll take that as gospel. Will let you know when it's done.

I appear on the map now! I'm a real boy! =)

Now if I could just make my picture show up!

Aaron, what do you mean to get your picture to show up? I can see it ok.
If you zoom out using the plus and minus signs to the left of the map, you should start seeing other people near you. Don't you see them?

Cheers,
Crispin

Hiya Crispin. I should have posted that I figured it out. I didn't realize there was a difference between "profile picture" and "avatar picture" until today. The last time I was part of a vehicle club online it was for my VW Type III 15+ years ago. A lot has changed since then! I had a Spitfire a few years back, but it didn't have nearly the following the Land Cruisers do

Hiya Crispin. I should have posted that I figured it out. I didn't realize there was a difference between "profile picture" and "avatar picture" until today. The last time I was part of a vehicle club online it was for my VW Type III 15+ years ago. A lot has changed since then! I had a Spitfire a few years back, but it didn't have nearly the following the Land Cruisers do
:thumbup: All good then.

Ed (and all others) - you can enter a latitude and longitude now into your Map Location field and it will use that verbatim and not try and work it out.
Here is a site which helps you find lat and lng: http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

Click where you are and see the latitude and longitude in the box below. it needs to be entered in your settings as -30.5232848, 151.6490244 (or whatever yours is.)

I might actually introduce the "Click to make me here" option. Got other things to do now though :|

Okay, tried entering it again both as town and Lat Lon, neither seem to work.

i try a few times
gave up
i know where i live most of the time:icon-biggrin:

I just tried changing from Morden to co-ordinates but my place hasn't changed from where it was when I just entered Morden. :confusion-confused:

Just noticed that when the map shows for anyone's location, as you zoom in it keeps their location in the centre of the screen, even if you drag the map left/right/up/down it 'snaps' back to centre their location.

In my case, even though the whole map is displayed at first, if I zoom in it centres the map just off the North coast of Algeria.... just looked out of the window and it looks to damp and cold out there to be Algeria :icon-biggrin:wrong their

Last edited:
Hi Cris,

Just so you don't get too disheartened, because my address put me about 800m adrift on the map, I entered my coordinates as you suggested.

Bingo! Now my position is within meters of where I'm sitting in my living room! Thanks :icon-biggrin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    769.1 KB · Views: 110
.... Now my position is within meters of where I'm sitting in my living room! Thanks :icon-biggrin:
So now any Romanian scrote looking to 'lift' a nicely prepped 80 knows exactly where to find one :doh:

Nice location though :thumbup:

Last edited:
Just noticed that when the map shows for anyone's location, as you zoom in it keeps their location in the centre of the screen....
This only appears to happen on the iPad so please ignore.

As mentioned above, don't sweat over this one as it makes no odds to me if it works or not.... just posting here to let you know how it's going.

So now any Romanian scrote looking to 'lift' a nicely prepped 80 knows exactly where to find one :doh:

Nice location though :thumbup:

There's very little car crime here, in fact there's little crime at all in my experience.

I'd be much more concerned about Shropshire scrotes, if I lived there! :icon-biggrin:

In 12 years of living here I have had nothing broken into, stolen or vandalized.

10 years living just outside Swansea included 2 car break-ins, 1 stolen car, 6 house break-ins, 4 bikes, power tools and all my fishing gear stolen from a well padlocked steel container I used as a garden shed. Even the house alarm didn't put them off. :?

Back