Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How do I show my location on the map?

Aaron93LC

Country Flag
united_states
Am I supposed to enter coordinates, or what's the trick there?

Thanks!

Click here, scroll down till you see Map Location and enter something google understands.
Something like this: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=welham+green,+hertfordshire

Once you have something that works (not really difficult), press Save and wait about 30 minutes for the updates to run. You should then see the link next to your name. :thumbup:

I have moved this to the Forum FAQ section as well.

I've never been able to get this to work. It's positioned me somewhere in Bucharest, but not at my Bucharest address.

I want it to show me at Pioana Comarnic, Prahova. Google maps finds me OK when I search but the same wording doesn't work in the location entry on profile. :|

Last edited:
Clive, I'll have a look to see what Google is trying to do.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Clive, I'll have a look to see what Google is trying to do.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, but it's not important. I'm just confused why it pitches me in Bucharest.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Actually I'm running into the same problem. Sort of.... I've posted my city and state, but it isn't showing up on the map. I actually went to your profile to see how you worded it, then did the same on mine. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

Clive, your's is now working.

Aaron - yours will be too soon.

Turns out google got a bit cross with me for throwing automated queries at them and blocked me.... I've rewritten the process now to do it a different way. Once I have tested it some more I will change it so that it updates as you update the field in your profile. It will query google at this point rather than firing 2000 requests at them each hour.

Clive, your's is now working.

Aaron - yours will be too soon.

Turns out google got a bit cross with me for throwing automated queries at them and blocked me.... I've rewritten the process now to do it a different way. Once I have tested it some more I will change it so that it updates as you update the field in your profile. It will query google at this point rather than firing 2000 requests at them each hour.

Thanks Cris, that's great! I've been tinkering with that on and off for months, thinking it was something I was doing that was wrong... It's working fine now thanks to you!

:clap::clap::clap:

Chaps, it's now much slicker. If you update your location it should reflect straight away. If you enter a dodgy location then it'll complain there and then about it it.

Please have a whirl and let me know if you have any troubles.

thanks
CP

I'm still doing something wrong I think. Where it asks for the map location, I just entered "Rainier, OR" and that doesn't seem to be working. It seems I can fix the diff lock issue on my FZJ80, but not convince the map to point to me! Feeling hopeless and ashamed. lol

I'm still doing something wrong I think. Where it asks for the map location, I just entered "Rainier, OR" and that doesn't seem to be working. It seems I can fix the diff lock issue on my FZJ80, but not convince the map to point to me! Feeling hopeless and ashamed. lol

Not your fault - it seems the bit that works out your location is not loving something. I'll have a look this evening to see what is happening. :oops:

And we're all good now :) (I think...)

I think the problem with yours was that yours just needed to update your profile after I made the changes yesterday. I did not make it clear :oops:

The system updates your location when you update your profile settings. At that point it works out your details.

Anyway, think it is working ok for yours now Aaron.

Cheers,
Crispin

Ummmmm, now when I click on User Map it shows me... only. I'm going to update my profile and see if everyone else comes back. In the meantime, Crispin can you tell me how I make my picture show up? It shows when I go into my profile, but not on user posts. What a pain in the backside I am! Have a good day!

Clicking on my 'Where am I' just show's a map of the world with everyone's location, tried different ways of entering location but none seem to work.

Last edited:
My problem is the same as Bat21's; I get the map of everyone else, but no little dot halfway between Brisbane and Sydney.

Clicking on my 'Where am I' just show's a map of the world with everyone's location, tried different ways of entering location but none seem to work.

Bat21- did you update your profile recently? It only updates your location when you save your details.
I just saved them for you and it has sprung to life.

The system updates your location when you update your profile settings. At that point it works out your details.

My problem is the same as Bat21's; I get the map of everyone else, but no little dot halfway between Brisbane and Sydney.

Paddler Ed -
Yours seems to be the same. Could you update your details (Click here and just press save) I want to see if yours starts working as well.

Ed, If yours starts working then I will look at doing a mass update for all who have it enabled to save the hassle.

There seems to have been a while when it stopped working so some people might have the field filled in but the system has not actually updated the coordinates.

CP

Bat21- did you update your profile recently? It only updates your location when you save your details.
Did it again just before I posted the above and it didn't help.

Looking good now so it looks like you have 'poked' the right bits :thumbup:

Back