Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

how long will a slipping clutch last?

Rob

Garage
I have never had a clutch fail on me so i have no idea how long a clutch will last from the time it starts to slip under acceleration in 3rd. my volvo has just started doing that and i would like to find out roughly how long it will last until i wont be able to move (so i can avoid getting stuck at the side of the road). assuming the car is used in a city how much life is left in the clutch? is it 10s, 100s or 1000s of miles?

That's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions Rob.

The life of any clutch is also effected by the drivers mechanical awareness ;)

ok then ill rephrase, anyone driven a clutch to destruction under normal use? if so how long did it last from the time the above symptoms started?

Rob the answer is to get it replaced as soon as you can before it fails to get you up the next hill :mrgreen:

no can do until october, its either use the volvo as a DD with failing clutch or convince my girlfriend to use the cruiser on the tight hilly brsitol roads as DD :shock: (i don't mind the tight hilly roads obviously)

Rod, I have "done" a few clutches. Diesels seem to give up quicker. But as above, it can go at any point. I have has some last months and others go within day!!

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rob, this may have no bearing on how long yours will last but from first symptoms of slippage my partner has nursed her golf on for about another 400 miles so far.... :?

thanks for your comments guys, looks like i will have to convince her to use the cruiser, neighbours beware :lol:

I drove a Celica very gently for 12000 miles with a slipping clutch - but always dropped a gear as it started to slip and was VERY gentle on the power.

in Bristol- 1000miles if you are lucky and its just started to slip.

The clutch on my LJ70 started slipping when going uphill fully loaded in March 2007. Does it now and again but still running 10K later.

YMMV.

Back