Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How low would you discharge a battery

warrenpfo

I have just about finished planning my aux fuse box for the front of the car which will run things like the cb, 2x USB charging points, GPS and a 12v cig lighter socket. My plan is to run the front aux box direct from the battery so that if I stop at camp all the item running from it will still work with the ignition off.

i want to run the aux live through a voltage sensing relay so that I can't run the battery down beyond the point that its of no use but am not sure what that point is.

you can gat various voltage sensing relays some turning off at 12.2v or 10.8v or anything in between. What is the lowest voltage you would feel comfortable running you battery down too??

Hi Warren, it depends on the type and capacity of the batteries your using, the typical drain between charges and the lifetime you want from your batteries. Check out lifelinebatteries.com. lots of useful information and from my experience excellent batteries. In any event, I wouldn't go as low as 12.2 if you want your batteries to last a long time.

I regularly run my leisure battery down to 11v and so far its been fine (3 years). Wouldn't do it to a starter battery though.

Back